Enclosure upgrades

Quadro

Location (City and/or State)
SC
Okay so I’m not liking this cold weather and I’m very sure my torts do not either I bring them in the house when it gets below certain temps but I was thinking about my outside enclosure which is 20ft x30 ft roughly and they have a radiant heat panel in there house and thermostat but I still bring them in would it hurt to put up polycarbonate roof sheeting all the way around and enclose the entire thing in it ? Would it make it warmer to where they can stay outside a few mths longer ? Any opinions or thoughts?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Okay so I’m not liking this cold weather and I’m very sure my torts do not either I bring them in the house when it gets below certain temps but I was thinking about my outside enclosure which is 20ft x30 ft roughly and they have a radiant heat panel in there house and thermostat but I still bring them in would it hurt to put up polycarbonate roof sheeting all the way around and enclose the entire thing in it ? Would it make it warmer to where they can stay outside a few mths longer ? Any opinions or thoughts?
Search posts about @Tom night enclosure boxes.
Although I'm from South Carolina, I never kept tortoises there.
I'm now in Florida and although I do have heated night houses. Cold here is like 54°

Quadro

SC
Thank you I will thanks for replying. They do have a night box already with a RHP and thermostat but I was wanting to know thoughts about completely enclosing my enclosure with the polycarbonate roof sheeting to see if I would get a couple more mths for them to be outside I guess I’m trying to figure out if that would make it like a greenhouse and if that would mess with the occasional spotting of sun they get ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It would be a fight between the warming rays of the sun, and the cold temp of the earth. Only your thermometer can tell you who would win.