Enclosure too hot?

wuddybunny

Location (City and/or State)
Manila
Hi! I’m Mari, from the Philippines. My 3-month old redfoot will be arriving in a few days and I’ve been fixing his enclosure (currently at 4ft x 2ft). The ambient temperature in the enclosure, without any lights or heaters, ranges from 89-92F (this is our normal room temp here in the country). When I turn on the basking lamp (100w basking bulb from Exo Terra), the temp in the warm end rises to 98F! My concerns/questions. My concerns:

(1) Will my tortoise still need a basking lamp considering the given temps? If yes.. then will 98F be safe for him?
(2) Well.. the enclosure doesn’t have a cooler end because of the heat here. Is that ok?

Your thoughts will be very much appreciated. Looking forward to learning from everyone!:)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
With those temps. You won't need a basking light.
You are correct that REDFOOT can and do overheat.
Always provide a tray of water that they can crawl into to bathe. And always provide shade.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
We look forward to seeing your tortoise and setup!

willee638

HK
Hi! I’m Mari, from the Philippines. My 3-month old redfoot will be arriving in a few days and I’ve been fixing his enclosure (currently at 4ft x 2ft). The ambient temperature in the enclosure, without any lights or heaters, ranges from 89-92F (this is our normal room temp here in the country). When I turn on the basking lamp (100w basking bulb from Exo Terra), the temp in the warm end rises to 98F! My concerns/questions. My concerns:

(1) Will my tortoise still need a basking lamp considering the given temps? If yes.. then will 98F be safe for him?
(2) Well.. the enclosure doesn’t have a cooler end because of the heat here. Is that ok?

Your thoughts will be very much appreciated. Looking forward to learning from everyone!:)
That is very warm indeed, with this kind of temperatures & a direct source of sunlight a UV basking lamp is unnecessary. I wish I had these weathers & even when my indoor enclosure gets to 25 degrees Celsius my red foot soaks herself in a water dish & stays in for an hour. At 29-32 degrees celcius they will be spending 90% of the time under shades...