Enclosure size

FrankiesMom

Location (City and/or State)
Tampa, FL
Hello!
How long will this 48"x24"x24" enclosure be practical for the leopard tort? My little guy is 200 grams and almost 1 year old. It seems plenty big right now but at what age/size would this enclosure be insufficient? I live in Florida and when he gets bigger, he will spend most of his time in an outdoor enclosure; however, for example, we are having a cold spurt of 60 degree weather right now (40's in the evenings) and he has to be inside. He goes outside now for several hours at a time, but only when it is 80 or above.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello!
How long will this 48"x24"x24" enclosure be practical for the leopard tort? My little guy is 200 grams and almost 1 year old. It seems plenty big right now but at what age/size would this enclosure be insufficient? I live in Florida and when he gets bigger, he will spend most of his time in an outdoor enclosure; however, for example, we are having a cold spurt of 60 degree weather right now (40's in the evenings) and he has to be inside. He goes outside now for several hours at a time, but only when it is 80 or above.
2x4 is already too small for a 200 gram tortoise. I'd make a 4x8 indoors to use when the weather is too cold or rainy outside. Once the tortoise is about 8" you can let it live outside full time with a heated night box.

FrankiesMom

Tampa, FL
2x4 is already too small for a 200 gram tortoise. I'd make a 4x8 indoors to use when the weather is too cold or rainy outside. Once the tortoise is about 8" you can let it live outside full time with a heated night box.
Thank you Tom! I always appreciate your responses! This forum is amazing! Frankie is currently in a 6x2 enclosure. Once in a 4x8 indoor enclosure, does it need to be a closed chamber...and if so, how does one do that? Thank you.

FrankiesMom

Tampa, FL
To clarify, I originally replied to the forum about the 4x2 critter condo and my thread got moved - so that's why I was asking how long one could use the 4x2 critter condo...I was thinking of getting one, but you answered my question and advised frankie is already too big for that. How long do I need to be concerned about him being in a closed chamber and can I make one that is 8x4?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
To clarify, I originally replied to the forum about the 4x2 critter condo and my thread got moved - so that's why I was asking how long one could use the 4x2 critter condo...I was thinking of getting one, but you answered my question and advised frankie is already too big for that. How long do I need to be concerned about him being in a closed chamber and can I make one that is 8x4?
I would keep him in a closed chamber until he's ready to live outside full time.

You can buy a 4x8' from Animal Plastics. This will take 6-8 months and cost around $1000.

You can buy one from @Markw84 ready to go with all the heating, thermostats, and lighting, plus Mark's excellent advice in setting it up and getting it running. It will be ready much sooner, and I don't know what the cost would be, but Mark could tell you.

Or you can build one yourself.

FrankiesMom

Tampa, FL
Thanks @Tom! Very helpful as always! @Markw84 can you please let me know all the specifics about the 8x4 closed chambers that you sell? Thank you.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Thanks @Tom! Very helpful as always! @Markw84 can you please let me know all the specifics about the 8x4 closed chambers that you sell? Thank you.

I have attached a PDF file here with all the information about the Smart Enclosures. Thank you for your interest.

Attachments

• Complete Smart Enclosure info PDF.pdf
    994.6 KB · Views: 67

FrankiesMom

Tampa, FL
@Markw84 thank you for sending this. I'm definitely interested. What is the time frame for making/receiving this? I need to review your sheet again & I want to make a decision this weekend.