Enclosure Size For Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

travisgn

5 Year Member
I have one male and one female and want to add one or two more females and combine them into one enclosure. For an indoor enclosure, what size is appropriate for a group of three RTs? What about four? I was thinking about building something 6-7' x 3'. That would be equal to or bigger than the two enclosures I have now (4'x2' & 4'x2.5') combined, plus the space would be shared.

Doing this would also enable me to use the enclosures I have now for the hatchlings that are potentially on the way (fingers crossed).

I'm currently in the mulling it over/gathering info stage of the plan. :)

Thanks,
Travis

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
If I was planning a full time enclosure for 3 Russians I'd want about 30 sq ft. Maybe up it to between 35 and 40 for 4. Is this full time or would they be getting outdoor time too? If its for part of the year you can go smaller than if its for full time. Its really a personal choice though, and if its an increase from what they had, many would justify that anything bigger than a past enclosure is good. Rectangular is good, so I'd just increase a bit from what you had planned. Thinking of a tort table?

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
I keep 5 in a 16x4 enclosure, both inside and outside. They all have thrived... i like tortoisnerd's advice, "anything bigger then their old enclusre is better". Its always better to go big or go home, but the honest truth is sometimes we dont have the space. I always tell people to build an enclosure to the size that you dont feel guilty about. if you can look in the mirror and be okay with your tort's living conditions, then you have done your best with the resouces you have available. we all know that if the sky was the limit we would own acres of turtle land...

travisgn

5 Year Member
Thanks for weighing in. I hope some others do, as well. Of course it is ultimately a personal choice, but I value what you both and other experienced keepers have to say.

I always tell people to build an enclosure to the size that you don't feel guilty about. if you can look in the mirror and be okay with your tort's living conditions, then you have done your best with the resources you have available.

I think that's a very important point. I have limited space but I feel like I am giving my torts a home that is better than what a lot of others would. I know for a fact that they are in a better situation now then they were with their previous owner, and I feel good about that. And when it comes to adding additional torts in the future, I would like to be able to take them from bad situations and improve their lives.

Its really a personal choice though, and if its an increase from what they had, many would justify that anything bigger than a past enclosure is good.

I don't think anyone would refute than an increase in size is good, but what about concerns raised by keeping a group rather than an individual? Keeping one tort in a 20 sq. ft. enclosure is undoubtedly better than a 10 sq. ft. enclosure, but is keeping two torts (or 3) in a 20 sq. ft. enclosure better than keeping them each in separate 10 sq. ft. enclosures? You know what I mean? In a sense they each have far more space than they previously did since each tortoise can only occupy a tiny bit of space at a time. But will they compete for space, or the best hides, or food?

To specifically answer your questions, my torts do not have a permanent outdoor enclosure (apartment). They get outdoor time but only in the form of me taking them out and keeping an eye on them, typically once or twice a week, weather and schedule permitting.

This thread shows the setup I have now: http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-17739.html

My plan would be to build something similar to what I have, but that would take up the entire table that my two enclosures are on now.

Status
Not open for further replies.