Enclosure question: spacers between racks

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
Hello,

I’m taking a leap and expanding my tortoise enclosures into our garage… I’ve got a line on some great enclosures: 5x12 lobster tanks.

I want to stack two of them with spaces between them, and am wondering what would be good.

My first thought was milk crates sandwiched between 2x10 lumber, which should make a gap of about a foot between the tanks.

I was also thinking of putting the topmost tank two feet back from the bottom tank, to give me room to work in each tank.

I’d love any Input people have to offer….

Jamie

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Pics please. Those tanks sound awesome. I have been keeping an eye out for used fiberglass tanks (the large ones sometimes used for aquaculture) but never snagged any.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Pics please. Those tanks sound awesome. I have been keeping an eye out for used fiberglass tanks (the large ones sometimes used for aquaculture) but never snagged any.
FA1FDC47-FDE8-4C6B-969F-B69AA621526F.jpeg

if they’re in good shape when i go to check them out, I’ll figure out how to best mount them….

j

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Even set back 2', there will be a lot of bending over and reaching between. My first thought was to say to make it like drawers so that they can be pulled out to work in. But if it's only 2 levels high, I'd put casters/wheels on the bottom level so that it can be pulled out.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
It appears Dan built some racks out of Unistrut seem to work well. If you've never used Unistrut, you can build just about anything out of it. I believe the lower tubs in his picture are not in use. If they were in use, he would raise up the lower supports:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ok, give me a few minutes to get to my computer where the pictures are.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like the widest ones you can get are only 6' wide.

But looking at your pictures, it really doesn't look like they're 5' x 12'