Enclosure materials

NathansChelonians

Hey everyone, hope you're having a good holiday.

I'm building a new enclosure, and I need it to be waterproof, but it will be made of wood. Does anyone know what type of wood I should use? Are they all safe? And I need to waterproof it, but treated wood seems very dangerous. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) I thought of maybe using that "Flex-Seal" stuff they advertise on TV, but I'm worried it won't be safe. Does anyone know? It will be under the substrate, and on the sides there will be a polystyrene background (which I have seen many, many times, so I assume it's okay for animals) so it won't be direct exposure, I'm just not sure. Any help would be great, thanks.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Just plywood made of pine is fine . To waterproof use dry lock you can get it at home depot. What type of tortoise are you putting in this new enclosure ?

NathansChelonians

I'm waiting on an answer from Garden State Tortoise about the Homes Hingeback Tortoise, if no I'll be looking for a Forest (or Serrated) Hingeback.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
In that case I'd build one 4/8 feet . This will last him until you can build an outdoor enclosure .

NathansChelonians

Unfortunately the most I have room for is 4/7 because I'm a teenager with only my room to work with. During the summer I'll be experimenting with a misted greenhouse to see if I can keep constant humidity, and they require moderately high temperatures so I should be able to maintain that. I live in upstate NY. So Kinixys homeana ranges from about 6-9 inches, and Kinixys erosa has been known to get up to 14 inches based on what I've read, but 12 is normal. Therefore, with the Homes I can probably manage 4/5 in 28 square feet, but with Forest or Serrated Hingebacks I can probably fit 3 at most, which is decent enough for the future breeding.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
So Kinixys homeana ranges from about 6-9 inches, and Kinixys erosa has been known to get up to 14 inches based on what I've read, but 12 is normal. Therefore, with the Homes I can probably manage 4/5 in 28 square feet, but with Forest or Serrated Hingebacks I can probably fit 3 at most, which is decent enough for the future breeding.

I don't keep hingebacks so I'm curious about this - do they really work well in such close quarters? 4-5 tortoises in a 28 sq ft space seems very overcrowded for species I have experience with, even if they're only 6-9" long. Are Home's more social and unaggressive than most species?

NathansChelonians

Well that's what I've read, but I do know a fair amount about Hingebacks from lots and lots of research. They are a hiding species. They prefer low light levels, and dark, damp spaces. I've read that you can put 2 in 8 square feet, which translates directly to 4 in 16 square feet, but I find that to be a little too small. But they aren't very active animals, but I'd have to build it and get a visual idea in order to really calculate an appropriate amount.

NathansChelonians

But it is very necessary to have spare enclosures close by just in case. I prefer a 50 gallon Rubbermaid with a singular light fixture on on side. This will have the appropriate gradient, and if needed a lid with holes can be used to keep humidity consistent.