Enclosure lighting help

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, VA
You need
1. Sunlight equivalant- UVB tube bulb
2. Heat producer- Think like its your home this heat stays on and maintains a temp you set with the thermometer
4. Light- An incadescent flood light offers light and some extra heat that could be used for the basking spot
As your lights come on extra heat will be generated to give you a daytime temp and when off you have you night temps. Set the thermostat to maintain the heat producer so as to not overheat the tort

For UVB 1581956977710.png THis is a good example the type of bulb will vary with the type of tortoise- shade to sun dweller
For Heat CHE or RHP @Kapidolo Farms sells the Radiant Heat Panels
Light- I use a 5500 white light LED to help my planst grow as well. Other use the old flood style incadescent bulbs that create a good heat and plenty of light-a daytime basking spot. Again it depends on the tortoise type. Good Luck

Triplejester

Louisiana
Thanks for the reply. I have a Russian tortoise and have purchased the Zoo Med desert UVB and heat combo. The temperature under the basking area is 96 degrees. Currently I have only had the tortoise for a week and it hasn't ate a single thing since we purchased it.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Those dual light heat and UVB have a type of UVB light that you should NOT USE.
They are the coiled/spiral, compact type and they cause eye issues.
Get your money back and get a T5 "HO" strip florescent lamp as wide as your enclosure. And use a heat lamp or a CHE for heat in it's own reflector hood fixture.

Triplejester

Louisiana
Thanks for the reply. So the T5 would put our the needed UVB? I wanted to go separate but the pet shop sold me on the dual fixture.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Thanks for the reply. So the T5 would put our the needed UVB? I wanted to go separate but the pet shop sold me on the dual fixture.
Sadly most petshops are way outbounds with recommendations sadly a bunch are money related ones. You could get the T5 with a light fixture for around $40 and may be similar price at the pets store. Also don't forget Home Depot may have all you may want just short of the actual UVB bulb and probably much cheaper

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
1581962708483.png
The measuremnts are in centimeters so at 30 cm (11.8 inches) the the UV index would be 4 so that should be fine. Now understand without a Solarmeter 6.5r these are manufacturer recommendations under perfect conditions so the bulb could produce more or less. Sorry, having deep pockets is almost necessary with proper tortoise keeping. With that said 1 hour of outside pure daylight every other day would solve your problem for about the same price with less worry!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My T5ho 5.0 tubes put out 3.0+ at 12" through a screen.
So a 4.0 without a screen might be a low number.
Without a SOLARMETER, itd be an educated guess.
I'd guess that 12 to 14" without a screen top would be good. Or 10 to 12" through a screen.
Keep in mind that a T8 is too weak. This is for a T5.
In both cases a screen can block out up to 50% of the UV.

Triplejester

Louisiana
My T5ho 5.0 tubes put out 3.0+ at 12" through a screen.
So a 4.0 without a screen might be a low number.
Without a SOLARMETER, itd be an educated guess.
I'd guess that 12 to 14" without a screen top would be good. Or 10 to 12" through a screen.
Keep in mind that a T8 is too weak. This is for a T5.
In both cases a screen can block out up to 50% of the UV.
Would a screen with 1/2" holes block anything?

Triplejester

Louisiana
It would block a lot less.
A T5 UV TUBE is strong enough that it can pass enough UV through a screen to still be effective.
1/2" screen would block less than 25% would be my guess.
Ok thanks, as you directed purchased the zoo med T5 HO 36". I have it sitting 12 " above highest point in middle of enclosure. Basking are a is 98 and middle is at 80. The other side is at 70 in the hide away from basking light. I have one more fixture coming in with a CHE to get mid temps a lil America. I hope this helps my dude to start warming up to eat.

Triplejester

Louisiana
Wanted to thank you and everyone else that helped. My tortoise is now eating and enjoying his new home. My family cannot thank you enough!