Enclosure Idea

Jenny & Tort

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh PA
Please give me your thoughts on my latest enclosure idea. My tortoise is a sulcata, less than one year old.

The top and sides of the enclosure would be from a plastic greenhouse, I am having trouble with humidity so I am hoping that this plastic enclosure will help to keep the humidity and heat in.
Heres a link of what the greenhouse looks like:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J04EWF6/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
I would then build a wooden base and line it with plastic as well to help keep the moisture in. I could hang the lights and heat lamps from the bar across the top. It is also pleanty large enough to hold a water bowl, food bowl, a hide or two, and a few plants.

Let me know what you think.

Is this a good idea?

Jenny & Tort

Pittsburgh PA
I see a lot of people looking at this post, but no one actually posting anything. :(
That makes me sad.
Please even if you think it is a terrible idea please let me know.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I like the idea tons! My concern would be the size. He should have plenty of roaming room. I think you will get more input. Sometimes it takes a while.

Jenny & Tort

Pittsburgh PA
I like the idea tons! My concern would be the size. He should have plenty of roaming room. I think you will get more input. Sometimes it takes a while.

Thanks! Great idea Ill have to see if I can find a larger one, or maybe connect multiple ones.

Daveypryme

Indiana
Please give me your thoughts on my latest enclosure idea. My tortoise is a sulcata, less than one year old.

The top and sides of the enclosure would be from a plastic greenhouse, I am having trouble with humidity so I am hoping that this plastic enclosure will help to keep the humidity and heat in.
Heres a link of what the greenhouse looks like:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J04EWF6/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
I would then build a wooden base and line it with plastic as well to help keep the moisture in. I could hang the lights and heat lamps from the bar across the top. It is also pleanty large enough to hold a water bowl, food bowl, a hide or two, and a few plants.

Let me know what you think.

Is this a good idea?

I did the exact thing your wanting to do, with the same green house too. The humidity and temps are easy to keep up.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1454727574.813903.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1454727604.231520.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1454727616.900647.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1454727528.792154.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1454727528.792154.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 20
  • ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1454727545.909419.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1454727545.909419.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 18

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
The top and sides of the enclosure would be from a plastic greenhouse
I have only built an outdoor enclosure before, so I have no experience building that type. When you build yours make sure your tortoise can't see out through the sides, you could also use wood for the sides like Daveypryme's enclosure.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Great ideas here - I love the Lifetime raised bed kit which comes complete with the cover, and wish I could get them in the UK.
If you use wood don't forget to line it, or treat it to avoid mould.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks Spud's mum but from what's coming up via the link I think that's just the tent, - the Lifetime kit is the plastic raised bed with the tent. I will check Amazon uk again to see if they've started doing it but searched everywhere last year.

Yes they have them now :) but not sold as a 2 bed + tent kit and more than double the cost of what they were in US last year:( Will keep watching for lower prices though Thanks again

Last edited:

Daveypryme

Indiana
I love the enclosure! Thanks for all the pictures I am probably going to make mine very similar. Are you using two heat lamps?

Thanks.
Yes I have two CHE's one on the end by the plants and the other right above his humid hide. I also have a MVB beside his hide above where he eats. The humidity easily gets to 90% so I leave one of the flaps slightly unzipped to keep it around 75%

Jenny & Tort

Pittsburgh PA
I have only built an outdoor enclosure before, so I have no experience building that type. When you build yours make sure your tortoise can't see out through the sides, you could also use wood for the sides like Daveypryme's enclosure.

Great Idea, I'll have to give it high walls like he did. Thanks

Jenny & Tort

Pittsburgh PA
Great ideas here - I love the Lifetime raised bed kit which comes complete with the cover, and wish I could get them in the UK.
If you use wood don't forget to line it, or treat it to avoid mould.

I wish I could find one that came with a base just because it would make my life a little easier. Haha. Thats ok I don't mind building one. I will be sure to line it with plastic! Thanks!

Jenny & Tort

Pittsburgh PA
Thanks.
Yes I have two CHE's one on the end by the plants and the other right above his humid hide. I also have a MVB beside his hide above where he eats. The humidity easily gets to 90% so I leave one of the flaps slightly unzipped to keep it around 75%

Did you ever try it with just one CHE and one MVB, thats what I have now. I can defiantly buy another CHE if I need to, I am just wondering how the temps would be with just one CHE.

Jenny & Tort

Pittsburgh PA
Thanks Spud's mum but from what's coming up via the link I think that's just the tent, - the Lifetime kit is the plastic raised bed with the tent. I will check Amazon uk again to see if they've started doing it but searched everywhere last year.

Yes they have them now :) but not sold as a 2 bed + tent kit and more than double the cost of what they were in US last year:( Will keep watching for lower prices though Thanks again

Is this what you were talking about? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055FSKPW/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20 Not too expensive!

Daveypryme

Indiana
Did you ever try it with just one CHE and one MVB, thats what I have now. I can defiantly buy another CHE if I need to, I am just wondering how the temps would be with just one CHE.

I tried just having one CHE at the end with the plants and the MVB at the basking and hide end but I couldn't get the basking area hot enough it would only reach about 87 I like it to stay around 95. And at night it would get too low about 74 at the end with just the MVB so I use the MVB and CHE's during the day and just the CHE's at night.
I get my CHE's off eBay super cheap. I made the mistake of buying my first one directly from a pet store for $40.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1454795525.287832.jpg