Enclosure humidity problems.

Kiraxriddick

Location (City and/or State)
Glendale
Hello, I am new here and have had my sulcata baby for about 7 weeks now. I saw on some forms the humidity needs to be around 80 and so does the heat. They issue I am having is when I went to clean his cage the soil was soggy and complete soaked, should I put something to help with drainage?

Attachments

• 46DA5595-BE16-4C08-A822-875201036896.jpeg
    46DA5595-BE16-4C08-A822-875201036896.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

What kind of substrate is in there now? You said soil, but it doesn't look like soil.

If it is soil, that's your problem. It just doesn't make a good substrate since it turns into mud. Another reason we recommend not using it is because the torts tend to eat it, especially when it gets stuck to the damp greens.

Coco coir is a good choice for your baby. Make it fairly thick, wet it with a pitcher of water, and mix it together with your hands. You want it evenly moist, but not soaked. Then pack it down hard with your hands so it doesn't get dragged all over the place. You may want to put some cypress mulch on top of the coir to help keep it in place.

Another option, maybe even better than the first, is to use fine grade orchid bark. You don't have to mix anything with it. It holds water well, is comfy on baby feet, and does no damage if some gets swallowed.

You probably already read this, but in case you haven't, here's our care sheet.

Kiraxriddick

Glendale

What kind of substrate is in there now? You said soil, but it doesn't look like soil.

If it is soil, that's your problem. It just doesn't make a good substrate since it turns into mud. Another reason we recommend not using it is because the torts tend to eat it, especially when it gets stuck to the damp greens.

Coco coir is a good choice for your baby. Make it fairly thick, wet it with a pitcher of water, and mix it together with your hands. You want it evenly moist, but not soaked. Then pack it down hard with your hands so it doesn't get dragged all over the place. You may want to put some cypress mulch on top of the coir to help keep it in place.

Another option, maybe even better than the first, is to use fine grade orchid bark. You don't have to mix anything with it. It holds water well, is comfy on baby feet, and does no damage if some gets swallowed.

I’m sorry I didn’t clarify, it is coconut fiber and wood chips. Ok thank you I will try the cypress mulch as well.

Kiraxriddick

Glendale

image.jpg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I do have another suggestion.

Baby torts are prey for birds and other animals, and as a result they are hardwired to stay underneath brush, bushes, and trees.

Your little one would definitely appreciate a potted plant to hide under.
I have spider plants and pothos in my enclosures. Boston fern, prayer plants, and any kind of bromeliad are also safe.

But if you buy plants at a store, you cannot put them right in because the growers use chemicals on them. The chemicals go into the leaves so they are unsafe for the tort to eat.

It's best if you start from seeds, or find a family member or friend with one that doesn't use bug or weed killer, or spray on fertilizer. Take cuttings from their plants.

If you buy a plant from a store, take it out of its pot and rinse all the dirt off the roots. Then repot it in clean new soil without additives in it. Then wait a year. Only then will it be safe.

Amoeba

West Java
That's a cute looking enclosure. By the way I think the clamp lamp fixture you're using is bit dangerous. It's safer to use lamp stand like the one I attach bellow.

Attachments

• 26051_6.jpg
    26051_6.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 0

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, I am new here and have had my sulcata baby for about 7 weeks now. I saw on some forms the humidity needs to be around 80 and so does the heat. They issue I am having is when I went to clean his cage the soil was soggy and complete soaked, should I put something to help with drainage?
If the substrate is too damp, let it dry out a bit and don't add any more water.

Fine grade orchid bark will work best for substrate.

Foggers shouldn't be used with tortoises. Maintain humidity by closing in the top.

The enclosure is much too small. Minimum for a baby should be about 48x24 inches.

You've gotten some good suggestions from the previous posters, and Karen linked the care sheet with all the info for you.