Enclosure for Leopard Tortoise

mosseytortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Surprise AZ
Hello. This is my first time posting a question, but I needed some help. I have a 2 year old Leopard Tortoise, and I have him in a 4 foot long x 2 foot wide wooden open top enclosure. I have been reading a lot of threads here, and some have said an open top enclosure is ineffective for young tortoises in terms of maintaining heat and humidity. My question is if the majority of who that reads this agrees with this, and what would a good closed enclosure to use would be? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Using a closed chamber is the most vital when the tort is a baby. But at 2 years a leopard still has lots of growing to do. He certainly will still benefit from being enclosed.

This is a post I wrote a while back. It explains your options in getting a pre-made enclosure, or building one, or converting your current enclosure.

I hope you find it helpful.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello. This is my first time posting a question, but I needed some help. I have a 2 year old Leopard Tortoise, and I have him in a 4 foot long x 2 foot wide wooden open top enclosure. I have been reading a lot of threads here, and some have said an open top enclosure is ineffective for young tortoises in terms of maintaining heat and humidity. My question is if the majority of who that reads this agrees with this, and what would a good closed enclosure to use would be? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
At 2 years old a properly raised and cared for leopard tortoise should be around 8 inches long and weigh a few pounds. This is way too big for a 2x4 enclosure. What size is your tortoise? One of the problems with an open topped enclosure and conditions that are too dry and too cool, is a tremendous reduction in the growth rate.

Here is the current and correct care info, and your questions and conversation are welcome here. https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181497/