Enclosure for a Greek yearling

chelonianurture

Location (City and/or State)
Denver
Hello! I will be getting my first Greek yearling in 24 hours - yay! I have had an adult Greek in the past, but need some advice for caring for a yearling. Specifically:
1. My little guy is coming from humid Florida, and I live in dry Colorado. Should I do anything more than ensure I have a good mix of substrate ( I will use organic soil and repti-bark) that keeps the humidity up and three times a week soakings?
2. My little guy will spend time both in and outdoors. I am a teacher, and during the school year, I'll keep him in a very large plastic swimming pool in my classroom (under very careful supervision) with second graders who adore him. But in the summer, I have an outdoor enclosure that he will spend the day in. I will, however, bring him inside at night. I'm concerned, though, about putting the yearling outside in the Colorado heat right away, given that it's been in a very humid environment. How can I acclimate him to the new environment?
3. I have always fed my tortoise on 100 percent greens with the calcium supplement. But do I need to transition him to a new diet, or continue with the diet from the seller?

Thanks so much for the advice!

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
The yearling tortoise will need more humidity. A open top swimming pool will not be able to keep the necessary humidity in the enclosure. I would recommend a closed chamber type enclosure for inside.

Check out the care sheet for greek tortoises, young and old.

chelonianurture

Denver
The yearling tortoise will need more humidity. A open top swimming pool will not be able to keep the necessary humidity in the enclosure. I would recommend a closed chamber type enclosure for inside.

Check out the care sheet for greek tortoises, young and old.

Thanks so much! Right now I have him in one of those wooden tortoise tables. I check the humidity several times a day. In the hiding area, it is 70 percent. In the basking area, however, it is only about 40 percent. Is that enough?

chelonianurture

Denver
Thanks so much! Right now I have him in one of those wooden tortoise tables. I check the humidity several times a day. In the hiding area, it is 70 percent. In the basking area, however, it is only about 40 percent. Is that enough?
Sorry, house not table. I also have been soaking him every other day.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
40% is not enough. It needs to 70% or more all the time and everywhere in the enclosure

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Keep reading the care sheet. You will get the perfect setup by reading it and correcting what you need to.