Enclosure floor membrane

ben awes

5 Year Member
Hey all, thinking about an enclosure floor membrane. Read many posts where people put down tarps, plastic sheets, etc, before they put down dirt or mulch, or whatever else they are using for substrate.

I am wondering what people think / experience people have had with actual roofing membrane? Fully adhered rubber roofing like EPDM? I've read about it being used as pool liner for torts ponds. All tarps, plastic sheets, even the perm-a-barrier would degrade over time under UV lights. The rubber roofing would not, is fairly inert itself, is reinforced so is difficult to tear. It could be washed, hosed down, swept. Almost anything could be placed on top of it. It's very tough, slip resistant.

I am wondering if there is anything potentially dangerous to the torts with something like this? I am thinking of wraping this up the sides of the enclosure and the running a strip of wood around the edge like a chair rail to clamp the edge of the membrane to the wall so that the torts could not bit the membrane edge or claw at it - Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ben

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Hi Ben,

I imagine that the actual product used for roofing may be a little different, but this is also what is used for fish pond liners, the EDPM. Millions of fish are contained in it. It seems OK for them, I would consider it a safe bet for a tortoise enclosure liner too. I have seen it 'welded' for huge pond applications, so corners may not have to be folded, but maybe cut and welded - just a consideration.

Will

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have been looking into,this. Anyone have experience with the liquid EPDM? Here is a link if it works. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008YFVL4C/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Think of doing this next summer. The texturing I did on the tort shed floor does not seem to be enough. I also would like something a little more water proof then the paint I used. Any ideas thoughts? What about the black coloring, could it be too hot under basking lights? Would it give enough of a traction or would the EPDM that comes in a roll be better for traction?