Enclosure dimension questions

Emily Deshar

So i have a 6 foot by 2 foot show case. Is it ok if I use this an an indoor enclosure? Is that a good size? Is glass ok to use? My husband is going to build a wooden lid to attach the lights and heat on. I use a che lamp and a uvb light right now. During the summer she will be mostly in her outdoor enclosure, which is plenty big for just one redfoot. But in the winter and cold nights, she will be inside. Is this all ok? Also, how far up should the lights be to the top of her shell?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Fine for a baby, but much too small for an adult. Tortoises need lots of room to roam. Even in winter.

What size is your RF? Where in the country are you?

Emily Deshar

Fine for a baby, but much too small for an adult. Tortoises need lots of room to roam. Even in winter.

What size is your RF? Where in the country are you?

My tortoise right now is only 2 years old and almost 5 inches. I live in Nebraska.
What do you think is the minimum size enclosure?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, VA
If you have a redfoot then bigger is better. I have a russian and at maturity will require an 8X4. My russian basically climbed the walls everyday as a baby in the 60 gallon rubbermaid tote. As a juvenile my Tort prowls the 12'X3.5' outdoor enclosure. I rotate plants so as to "spice it up" but more space is better. I love the Sulcatas but do not have the room for them.

Emily Deshar

If you have a redfoot then bigger is better. I have a russian and at maturity will require an 8X4. My russian basically climbed the walls everyday as a baby in the 60 gallon rubbermaid tote. As a juvenile my Tort prowls the 12'X3.5' outdoor enclosure. I rotate plants so as to "spice it up" but more space is better. I love the Sulcatas but do not have the room for them.

Ya i have a redfoot. Ok. Thanks guys. I do have 2 show cases and we were gonna put then together so it'll be 6x4ft, but then we dont have a good place in the house to put it..