Enclosure decor

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I bake mine at 200 for about 20-25 minutes, then soap and vinegar spray and scrub anything gross away.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Also do u know if I can use real jade? I have seen it in some pics of enclosures but I don't see it on any of the "list" of acceptable plants. I have a pretty large jade tree and I really need to trim it and have some limbs that would look great in my enclosure.
I have a jade plant in my Russian tortoise enclosure. She nibbles on it once in a while. I have it planted in a little pot and surrounded by the substrate I bet your Tortoise would love it. I read on here somewhere that they are safe. I also have some spider plants they are also safe. I would like to put in some Pothos plants but I have heard various reports on whether they are safe or not.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
I was also thinking about using pothos. I'm almost certain I seen it in some enclosure on here but I want to b 100% before I do it.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Earlier today I was at Petco buying things to set up a new Boxturtle enclosure. They have plants there that are specifically meant to be planted into enclosures and one of them is Pothos so I got one. I have seen them in enclosures on the site also. I think as long as they are not the Tortoise is only diet it is fine. They grows like crazy!

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Ya I have one that is huge. I have it tacked to a wall in my living room and it covers the entire wall and it just keeps growing. Lol. I have spider plants and pothos and jade and chick and hens and most of the succulents and cacti. I did pick up a spineless prickly pear cause what I have has spines. I have huge hosta in the back yard but thought about buying the minutire version, mouses ear, for the enclosure but then I seen a list that said feed sparely on everything but the prickly pear and spider plant and it didn't list the pothos at all. It even said aloe needed to b sparely feed. This list wasn't on the forum so I am going to check the list here out, I trust the forum over anything else.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
No picture so far?? May I ask for some photo show before and after??

Thanks.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Ya I have one that is huge. I have it tacked to a wall in my living room and it covers the entire wall and it just keeps growing. Lol. I have spider plants and pothos and jade and chick and hens and most of the succulents and cacti. I did pick up a spineless prickly pear cause what I have has spines. I have huge hosta in the back yard but thought about buying the minutire version, mouses ear, for the enclosure but then I seen a list that said feed sparely on everything but the prickly pear and spider plant and it didn't list the pothos at all. It even said aloe needed to b sparely feed. This list wasn't on the forum so I am going to check the list here out, I trust the forum over anything else.
I think if the Tortoise eats too many succulents are too much cactus it can cause diarrhea. If you have a wide variety of plants in the enclosure and you feed other things I think you're safe. They won't eat as many plants in the enclosure if they have other things to eat also. It seems that variety is the key in the diet. And I have found that no matter what you do the enclosures are never actually quite finished :) I continually tweak mine.