Enclosure decor

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeast Tennessee
Would a tortoise like se decoration items in his enclosure? It will b 5'by 3', he is a hatchling. I planned on putting in a couple hides through out it but I read they like to explore and I figured if this was the case, maybe some driftwood to maneuver around and maybe some fake plants/trees to climb around in. I know I will have to be careful due to him ending up on his back but other then that is there a reason I shouldn't?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I love heavily "decorated" enclosures. I do my best to make it look like a patch of the great outdoors. what you described sounds great.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Ok great. I wanted to cover the entire back wall of the enclosure in beautiful vines and just have hides randomly placed thru out and I did go ahead and pick up a bunch of different hides but I held off on purchasing the greenery but I will pick that up today. I also ran across some waterfalls but they was ridiculous price wise but I thought something like that would really help w humidity levels so I made a waterfall/fountain (I filled basin full of gravel and covered w screen so the little guy could get in trouble w it) and it will look great against the greenery. When I built my enclosure I made a "drop-in" area so I can put a 9"X9" pan of fresh grass that I grow in and once he mows that down I can just switch it out so there will b eatable greenery as well.

hannah1809

I thinks it's a great idea, maybe you could get decorated items he would use and then it will be killing 2 birds with one stone, as long as he have space to move its fine, I think it's a great idea!!! I think your tortoise will be extremely happy with that!

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
I actually thought about making a shelf around the enclosure maybe 4-5" from the top and making it where it would hold dirt and plant some things in it, vines and such that will hang down for him to nibble on. I would like to make it just as "jungle" like with plants and rocks as I can but I also want him to have plenty of exercise room. I thought if it's not tightly packed in then he could adventure thru the stuff, he would still b able to motor around the entire enclosure but it would b more then just open flat dirt. I need to c if jade trees are safe because I have a real nice piece that just broke off mine and would make a great "tree" in there.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
I thinks it's a great idea, maybe you could get decorated items he would use and then it will be killing 2 birds with one stone, as long as he have space to move its fine, I think it's a great idea!!! I think your tortoise will be extremely happy with that!
I have been looking for items like that. I got a couple log hides that u can soak in water, I figure that makes him a humid hide and he would might like to climb it as well, build up his little leg muscles, lol. I want to make him a daily adventure so to speak but I also want to make sure he is safe, not falling over on his shell all the time or falling off the edge of something causing damage. I figure I will get it all set up and then adjust as needed, I have read almost every word written in this forum and I don't think I have read one time someone set it up and it was perfect first time. So I will just adjust, adjust, adjust.

hannah1809

I have been looking for items like that. I got a couple log hides that u can soak in water, I figure that makes him a humid hide and he would might like to climb it as well, build up his little leg muscles, lol. I want to make him a daily adventure so to speak but I also want to make sure he is safe, not falling over on his shell all the time or falling off the edge of something causing damage. I figure I will get it all set up and then adjust as needed, I have read almost every word written in this forum and I don't think I have read one time someone set it up and it was perfect first time. So I will just adjust, adjust, adjust.

hannah1809

That's sounds great, yeah just make sure it is not to high as if he is young his shell is still very fragile!

hannah1809

By any chance do you know how to post questions, queries or just funny tortoise experiences? I am really struggling, and how to post a picture of you pet on you pic next to you user name when items are being posted

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
By any chance do you know how to post questions, queries or just funny tortoise experiences? I am really struggling, and how to post a picture of you pet on you pic next to you user name when items are being posted
To fix the pic next to your name u edit your profile. And to ask questions and such what I do is go through find what forum it would probably fall into and the push the "create a thread" button

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Go to the top where u see your name and select your name and that will open up your profile. U might have to select it twice. If your on a computer I'm not sure, I use my iPhone and that's how I did it

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
At the top, where your name is, hover over that, and click on 'personal details'. There is an avatar upload there.
There is an article in the intro forum that tells how to post pictures.

hannah1809

Thx so much, I am using my ipad I can't seem to do things like that so I will just go on the computer to fix things like that, thank you for your time, xx

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
I just saw this and wanted to say of there is a Dollar Tree in your area and you're using fake plants, definitely stop there first. They have a huge variety that isn't tacky looking and is all a dollar. I spent 20 the other day, then cut some logs up, and made a few myself.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
I just saw this and wanted to say of there is a Dollar Tree in your area and you're using fake plants, definitely stop there first. They have a huge variety that isn't tacky looking and is all a dollar. I spent 20 the other day, then cut some logs up, and made a few myself.
Thanks. I have been looking for some fake greenery and I was shocked at the prices. I won't need much since I have found this great little shop that sells all organic grown plants. Most the enclosure will be live, eatable stuff but I do want some fake things to cover the back wall till my live vines grow in nicely. Driftwood is another thing I have been looking for and I find the prices are crazy high, and suggestions on where I might find that, or even how I could make my own? I had some old plastic ones laying around from an old fish tank but it just looked bad against all the real plants, had to take it out.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Also do u know if I can use real jade? I have seen it in some pics of enclosures but I don't see it on any of the "list" of acceptable plants. I have a pretty large jade tree and I really need to trim it and have some limbs that would look great in my enclosure.

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
Thanks. I have been looking for some fake greenery and I was shocked at the prices. I won't need much since I have found this great little shop that sells all organic grown plants. Most the enclosure will be live, eatable stuff but I do want some fake things to cover the back wall till my live vines grow in nicely. Driftwood is another thing I have been looking for and I find the prices are crazy high, and suggestions on where I might find that, or even how I could make my own? I had some old plastic ones laying around from an old fish tank but it just looked bad against all the real plants, had to take it out.

Lucky you! I have an organic nursery near me too, and I'm super grateful for them, but my torts will trample or eat it if it's not fake. Organic ornamental plants are not cheap lol. They get the huge organics for their outdoor enclosures though.

Drift wood I actually go out to the dog beaches in my area and forage for them since there's no regulation at a "dog area". If you have a dog park with a lake I would look there also. I've found some stuff there as well. I also look around my local parks, neighbors trimming trees or shrubs, ect, for anything that looks like a good piece then I bake/scrub anything I find and kill whatever could be living or gross in there. The only actual pieces (2) I've purchased were off amazon, but even then it's crazy expensive, especially when I live near a bunch of hiking trails and what not.

Happy Hunting!

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Lucky you! I have an organic nursery near me too, and I'm super grateful for them, but my torts will trample or eat it if it's not fake. Organic ornamental plants are not cheap lol. They get the huge organics for their outdoor enclosures though.

Drift wood I actually go out to the dog beaches in my area and forage for them since there's no regulation at a "dog area". If you have a dog park with a lake I would look there also. I've found some stuff there as well. I also look around my local parks, neighbors trimming trees or shrubs, ect, for anything that looks like a good piece then I bake/scrub anything I find and kill whatever could be living or gross in there. The only actual pieces (2) I've purchased were off amazon, but even then it's crazy expensive, especially when I live near a bunch of hiking trails and what not.

Happy Hunting!
Ya no beachs around my location. I thought about getting just old stuff that's fell but I was worried about what could b in them, never thought about baking it, thanks I will try that one. I can just use old wood instead of driftwood. Problem solved!!