Enclosure Addition?

Lrodmyre

Location (City and/or State)
Lindstrom, MN
I have a male and a female Indian Star. The female is at 1148 grams. I have been told that they can start having eggs at 1200 grams.

They are in an 8' x 3' vivarium currently, but the substrate is only 5" in depth. I really don't want to put them in an open air enclosure due to the fact that I live in MN.

Am wondering if I build an "addition" onto their vivarium, I can add a 4' x 3' addition that is deeper, I am thinking about 15" in depth. Do you think the female would use it? I would have to build a ramp going up to it since it will be deeper.

I could add heat, plants, etc. in there also for her. It would also give them more space to roam.

Any opinions?

Lrodmyre

Lindstrom, MN
Maybe I have an unusual pair, but they have been together for 2 years, and there is no aggression. I'd say 95% of the time they aren't even by each other.

That's one of the reasons I picked an Indian Star. It says they can live in groups. Not so?

Again, they spend most of their time apart.

Interesting.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Groups are fine, pairs aren’t. In general, yes Indian stars don’t show aggression like other species but to be on the safe side a trio should be just fine to prevent any unnecessary stress.

No need to separate the male if you get another female. Unless you have a super aggressive Indian star male.

Lrodmyre

Lindstrom, MN
Groups are fine, pairs aren’t. In general, yes Indian stars don’t show aggression like other species but to be on the safe side a trio should be just fine to prevent any unnecessary stress.

No need to separate the male if you get another female. Unless you have a super aggressive Indian star male.
I do have a juvenile female also. At what size can you put a juvenile in with adults? She's about 5-1/2 inches long right now.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I do have a juvenile female also. At what size can you put a juvenile in with adults? She's about 5-1/2 inches long right now.

I place juveniles in with my adults once they have reached 4”. I’m only talking about Indian stars, some males reach full size at that size, and females only at 7-10”. I have never had any issues with Indians or Sri Lankan stars as far as aggression is concerned.

To answer your original question, I think 15” in depth for a nesting size is adequate for a female Indian. I would place a basking lamp directly over where you want her to nest.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
For most tortoise species, depth of substrate equal to the length of the female will work fine for depth for nesting. The substrate must compact and hold its shape for digging a nest chamber and not collapse in on itself. You should be able to compact it into a ball easily in your hand that holds its shape.

Lrodmyre

Lindstrom, MN
Thank you for your replies!

I also own turtles and they lay eggs every year for me so I know how the substrate should be.

I think I will start building my add-on vivarium so she gets used to it being there. I also have a camera ready to put in there also. I think I will start putting my juvenile female in there for a few hours a day so she gets used to the change also.

Thanks again for all of your help! I greatly appreciate it!