Empty Nest Syndrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bakersfield, California
My house is always busy with action, lately it's tooooooo quiet!

I'm sad and I'm lonely!!!!!

1. Lou ditched me and went to bed at 3 pm.
2. Son ditched me for flag football practice.
3. Hubby is out of town for a long time :p oops, I mean :(
4. Big son not home from work until 6 pm.
5. Lisa is still sick as a dog.

I have already cleaned the kitchen and vacuumed. I guess I'll go clean the boys' room......dun dun dun....scary...... If I don't post later tonight send out a search party! See there isn't even anyone home to know I was missing......
Sheesh!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I love #3. I felt that way a lot when my hubby went fishing.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sorta how I have been feeling today.

My kids all all out and about, but this weekend my youngest two were home. Josh to do some help (think strong super muscled young man) that I could fumble and try to do. I might get it done, but usually with tears in my eyes, as I think I have bursitis (sp?) in both my shoulders. My youngest daughter may not be starting her new job (and all her classes are online this quarter), so she has been spending a lot of time here at home. Not maybe because she loves being with me, think more along the lines of I have a working internet connection. :D So not a lot of work gets done, when they are around. I was so looking forward to Ash taking her brother back to college and then going to her own place for the day so I could get started on my long list of work. About 5 minutes after they left, the quiet settled in. Hard to imagine a house full of dogs, cats, and tortoises as ever being quiet, but kids make their own special noise, even when being totally quiet. So today, I have been missing them...but hey, I got to use my laptop all day long!!!

'Sides, my daughter should be home and taking over my laptop in a few hours again.... :D

On another bright note... my hubby should be home in only another eight weeks or so....

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Thanks Yvonne and Jacqui!

I always wondered what this day would be like, I guess when the kids are little and barfing everywhere, you think about this day, but now that it's starting to arrive I'm not sure I like it! ***sigh***

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
We teach our children how to spread their wings and fly.... and then in our hearts, we kinda wish they never had left the nest.

Thing that I have learned with my four, they always come back. Some for just an hour and some stay until you can't wait for them to go again. :D

I recall when mine were really young, all I wanted was to be able to go to the bathroom all by myself again. :D :rolleyes: Now my children let me go by myself to the bathroom, but now the dogs and cats think they need to accompany me. :D

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Mine are all married now, but live very close....I could walk there...except for my youngest who just got home from 4 years of college. When he left, I cried every day missing him so much. Now that he's back home, I have to do a towel wash every day, two colored washes a day and 1 white wash a day....three extra washes a day! If he's not working for his brothers, who have their own business, he's eating all day, and then goes out at night....more clean clothes. There are lights on in every room in the house and the TV's are on in his room and in the kitchen. He's still looking for a job, but hasn't found one yet. Most nights the house is filled with 20 year olds, playing pool downstairs until all hours of the night, and the music is playing. There are some quiet times...when he's writing his poetry. Ah....it's good to have him home again!

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
My son is 16 and I am getting a taste of this. He has had a few weekends that he has been gone and yes it feels very strange. Our house is the house he usually has friends come to as I guess his parents aren't quite so bad.(What other reason could it be?) We also lost a couple of our beloved pets (2 dogs and 1 cat) and I will say, who ever above said the noises in the house are not the same. Oh my you are right. Even with 4 dogs left. the energy is different. Is this what I have to look forward to?? Nay

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Raising 5 boys, my house was always the local hang out. Good thing we have a rec. room downstairs, with a refrigerator....no traffic coming up and down. I always left the side door open and told all these kids that if anyone couldn't make it home, just come in the side door. On Sunday AM, I would always find a few sleeping on the sofa downstairs. And, we always had at least three dogs roaming around, parrots, monkeys, so there was always plenty of noise here. As each one left, It became so lonely for me, and now when this last one leaves...good think they are all close by and I have the grand kids coming over.

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
I'm 20 and I don't think i'll ever move out :p

My and my BF have talked about it several times but with both of us studying it's just not affordable or a good idea at the moment.
Not to mention i live 30 mins from him so we'd have to go for somewhere inbetween our parents which means i'd be further away from my horses and if i had a car that wouldn't be a problem but i don't so i just can't move further away from them!
Another 5 years and we might possibly think about it. Neither of us want to rent though. We'd rather save up and get a nice house with a mortgage.

My house is like Piccadilly circus. Theres my mum, dad, me and my younger brother (17). Then my BF is here most days. My auntie nearly every weekend and my brother always has up to 5 youths round after school and weekends. When it's quiet it's quite un-nerving.
My older brother lives quite far away though so it's not as bad as it use to be although we miss him - even if he did use to play his music too loud and hog the bathroom for half the day!!!!!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Oh Mary Anne, it sound's horrible and wonderful! I have a cold and my 1 year old has a runny nose so he has not been sleeping well at night. I find myself walking around for hour's bounce-rocking him (mom's know what I mean) and counting down to when the foot race that has no end will begin. It is only the third week of school and I already need a break. In addition to no sleep at night I am in a few "car pool's" but is it really a car pool if I am the only one driving??!! I was going to respond last night but I fell sound asleep and woke up this morning with my face plastered across the respond box. Quiet and bored is something I would love to be but you have been where I am and earned your's. Sorry:(

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I'm sure my mom can't wait for me to move out :p We are very different people- she likes peace and quiet and I love having background music. She is a neat FREAK and while I'm not messy by ANY means, she can't stand if I leave anything out :p I always tell her that when I move out she'll miss me leaving my shoes by the front door...but somehow I don't think she'll miss it at all!

spiderreyy

5 Year Member
San Dimas, CA
Im sure you would be better off wishing they were still there. Better then wishing they would leave.My boys are out , but my girlfriends kids are stuck like glue.:D

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Thanks for all your responses! You gals/guys are the bestest! It's so interesting to see all the different views on this. I guess with most anything there are always the ups and downs. That must be why god invented Grandchildren. :p I can hardly wait! I want to be a young cool hip grandma! I already told my children all 3 of them, that when they have kids I get custody of them on the weekends!!!

I still have the chaos at work, I have 18 ~ five year olds this year, I think maybe that's why I am noticing the home life so quiet! I took a nap today, have not been able to do that IN YEARS!!!!!! IT WAS AWESOME, {{{sorry Erin}}}

spiderreyy

5 Year Member
San Dimas, CA
I already have 4 gran kids. They are great. The oldest, 5 years, is helping me build a new tortoise enclosure. He also helps me work on my Fiats. He comes over and says , Papa Rey Rey, lets go outside and do some man stuff. And off we go. These are the best times.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Awwwww, that is soooo cute. Don't you just melt!!!! I guess I have been waiting for the independence for sooo long now that it's here, I wish they were young again!

Kinda cute, my 12 year old snuck into my bed last night, I woke up in the middle of the night and there he was!!! He is lucky I didn't roll over and clobber him, since I can be a bed hog now :p

Status
Not open for further replies.