EMERGENCY sick baby redfoot

jm9984

I need to start out by saying, I screwed up. I took on a baby redfoot before doing my research entirely. A neighbor of my sister purchased a redfoot baby at a reptile expo and then they decided after about a week that it "wasn't for them." My sister told me about it and I went to see him, they had him in a shoebox size container with a heat lamp over him, thay was the setup. Since I'd always adored tortoises, and animals in general, my heart took over and I honestly felt "I can at least do better than that!" I took him home and started my research. He's currently on a 24x36" storage tub (low sides). A reptisun heat/uvb bulb was recommended to me, though now I read that are not the best choice. He is on peat moss/sphagnum sustrate. I am not sure I have had temperatures or humidity where they need to be, I've just been guessing. Shortly after getting him I became very ill (this is no excuse for improper animal care, I admit, I am feeling like a horrible person as I've had him a little over a month and I don't think I've been doing the best by him) but I was down for almost two weeks. Now here's the problems: he has not eaten much since I've had him. I've offered various greens, fruits and tortoise food. He'd nibble a little here and there but I really don't think enough to sustain him. I've been soaking him almost every day in warm water, as this seems to wake him up a bit and makes him want to eat what little bit he would eat. He's pretty much been hiding in his hide sleeping most of the time since I've had him, I thought he was doing a little better a couple of weeks ago as he started coming out more often and seemed to have a better appetite, but still has not eaten a considerable amount since Ive had him, which has been over a month. Unfortuna tell the last several days he has refused to eat anything, barely opens his eyes, and I noticed the bottom of his she'll is soft. He basically weighs nothing. I'm afraid I'm losing him and I know it is entirely my fault. I am willing to buy/change/fix anything I can, I just need someone to walk me through what I need to do. I am going to call a vet tomorrow and see if we can be seen urgently. I live in a very rural area and the only reptile vet I coukd find is about 1.5 hours away. I should have taken him a long time ago. I don't know if any of this makes sense as I am typing through tears and don't know what to do to help him at this moment. I'm afraid he's too far gone for even the vet to help, and maybe the kindest thing will be to have him euthanized. I deserve completely to be torn to shreds, but if anyone can please offer suggestions to help him/me at this time, we would be very grateful. Any and all suggestions welcome and appreciated.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
I don't know enough about your species to help much. But, you came to the right place. Others will chime in to help your little one out. Glad you found us and good luck

jm9984

Thank you kindly for your reply, Blake. I hope so, just want to do right by this little one, even if I'm a bit late :(

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
no one's going to tear you to shreds we only want to help you and your tortoise. My first concern is not eating he could be just readjusting but you also mentioned that his shell is soft which worries me a soft shell is normal in young tortoises but what you don't want is a shell getting softer than it was. Also do you happen to know his temperature is where they're at what they are things like that

jm9984

Thank you for the reply. The bottom of his shell was not soft like this before. I'm not sure on the exact temps, I lost my temp gun thing which is why I'm just guessing. Is there another good way to measure temps or do you suggest something I might be able to buy at the pet store? I'm sure the temps are off from where they should be. How do you keep a stable temp? Since out house is cool, the heat/uvb lamp is his only real sore of warmth. I waa thinking of switching him to a different room where I could add supplemental heat. I have a 100 watt powersun and a red lamp I use at night. I definitely need to work on getting temps right. Thank you again.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
you're probably going to get a lot of questions so please bear with us. do you know what his diet was like before you got him did he get sunshine exposure before you got him? a shell that is starting to go soft is usually a lack of calcium and UVB rays that's why I'm asking

jm9984

The people I got him from had him a maximum of two weeks and they were feeding tortoise pellets. Mazuri I believe, they said that's what the breeder had him on as well as fruits. They just had a heat lamp over him, I'm not sure if he had any uvb with the people before me. I'm assuming the breeder/dealer they got him from knew what he was doing, but I do not know. Should I be adding calcium to his feed? Ive just been trying to get him to eat whatever he will, which hasn't been much at all.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
So sorry your baby is sick. Stick with it. The experienced red foot people will be along. I do know he needs heat and humidity. Get another temp gun from the hardware store, best thing to use for measuring the temp. Closed enclosure I good to keep humidity up. I don't have red foots, I have Russans. Be patient, someone will be along soon. They will need to know his age, temps, food he eats, pictures of him and enclosure. Anything you can provide would help. Good luck. There are many people on here that raise red foots .
Also, look in the red foot section on the forum. There are care sheets available that will help you to start getting him set up right.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I would not use a Powersun with Redfoots. They do not like bright lights.
I would use ceramic heat emitters. One end of the enclosure should be 75-80 and the other end 90. Nothing should be cold and especially not cold and wet.
Here is what I suggest.image.jpeg
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

I wish the pictures did not run together above.
Get a temp gun at Home Depot. They give very accurate temps.
Get a heat controller and put the probe under the warmest heat source to make sure it never gets too warm or cool.
The tub is a 50 G from a feed store. It was cheap.
My husband made a top and heating and a simple dull light ( if the baby gets real sunshine)
Example of outdoor baby enclosure attached.
The humidity in this enclosure is 80%
Good luck.

jm9984

Thank you, kathy! That looks great. So you have light at one end, uvb and heat?

Can't post much, we have a vet appointment today at 2:30 (central time) the vet is 1.5 hours away any suggestions on keeping him warm for the trip? Any other suggestions to add to my shopping list while I'm out that way? Being rural I have little access to any "real"shopping or pet stores, so want to get what I need while I'm out by real stores. Thank you again!

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I would transport in a box and n dry substrate. Semi warm car.
image.png This is what I use. You need the appropriate hood. This is light only.
I would get a 100 watt ceramic heat emitter and large hood to hold it.
Good luck!

jm9984

I'm sorry I didn't see there were more replies. Vet took a swab of his nose and said whatever he saw looked like it could indicate strep. Without further testing we won't know for sure, but he gave me antibiotics to be administered every 3 days for a month as well as a calcium supplement (not sure I'll be able to get him to take it). To answer your question crimson, I'm currently using a 100 watt mercury vapor bulb.

jm9984

Oh! And I got a temp gun to measure temps, I will post when I get them. Thank you for your well wishes, christina. I hope "Bert" can recover, too!

Randi

Canada
Numerous questions as there are numerous things that are incorrect. You need thermometers to monitor temperatures constantly. A temp gun is good to have around but you will need something that constantly tells you the temperature in the enclosure. Do not purchase dial type thermometers. Get digital thermometers. You will also need a humidity gauge. In order to maintain heat and humidity, you will need to cover the top of the enclosure to keep it from escaping. It will help you control and stabilize the enclosure the tort is in. You will need a rheostat to keep the temperature at the desired level as it will shut the heating element on and off as required. You will need to soak this tortoise in warm water to ensure that it's hydrated, for about 30 minutes a day. The more soaks, the better. You change the water as it cools. As for substrate, I like to use cypress mulch that's about 6" high and then I cover that with coco coir, and the coco coir layer is about 2" high.

What is the set up like? Please post a picture of the enclosure. What are the temperatures (cool side, warm side, basking spot, night time)? What is the humidity? Do you provide sunlight? What food items do you feed? Do you soak this tortoise? Do you provide any supplementation, like calcium and other vitamins? Can you provide pictures of the tortoise? Any information you can provide will allow us to better assist. There is also a section dedicated to Redfoots and I would suggest checking it out. It has care sheets and all sorts of other tips for care.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
Thank you, kathy! That looks great. So you have light at one end, uvb and heat?

Can't post much, we have a vet appointment today at 2:30 (central time) the vet is 1.5 hours away any suggestions on keeping him warm for the trip? Any other suggestions to add to my shopping list while I'm out that way? Being rural I have little access to any "real"shopping or pet stores, so want to get what I need while I'm out by real stores. Thank you again!
Sounds like you care a lot for your little one. I'm glad he/she ended up with you. :):tort: