Emergency Kit?

JennK

i live in Wisconsin where it can get cold and the weather can turn ugly really quick! I have an indoor enclosure that measures 8ft tall x 8 ft wide X 3 ft deep. It houses an iguana, a Chinese water dragon, and two three toed box turtles. Now, before anyone decides they want to go all psycho on me, they are all found in the wild together, (invasive species but do co exist in a wild setting) they all share the same parameters, they all have their own area to escape to if they want to be left alone, and they all get sufficient outside time as well as free roam time on the sun porch which is slowly being converted into a giant enclosure... Time and money permitting. They basically use this enclosure for sleeping and sick days.

The area that I live in is surrounded by trees and is about a block from a lake. As such we get rather frequent power outages. Which having tropical animals this worries me. Also, tis the season for tornados. Can anyone suggest what I should have in case of an emergency. Obviously a small gasoline powered generator is in order, can anyone suggest a good one? What types of medications should I have on hand? Is there a carrier that you would recommend for times of evacuating or even transporting to the vets office. Ext. I like to be prepared and all of these guys live for a very long time. To lose one would be the same as if I lost my husband or son. They are a part of me. I want to ensure that they are safe.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That's my line of work...Get a generator with a Honda engine and one that is at least 5,000 running watts. The larger the better. The Hondas last forever and are very easy to start. The larger generators and motors will have electric start, also.
If you will be using sensitive electronics, you'll need an inverter type generator. (Sine wave) Otherwise, the type wont matter.
We get nasty hurricanes here and I have several on standby.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Dang! I hadn't thought of that...I remember wondering how to keep them warm during a power outage but I was working on enclosures and forgot to ask around. Thanks to both of you. I hope the generators aren't expensive. Is that why some people push oil heaters?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Arizona Tortoise Compound which is an active member here and a TFO supporter, sell an emergency medical kit.
It contains 10 minor surgery tools, Q-tips, organic honey sticks, hand sanitizer, surgical syringes and needles, alcohol prep pads and small amounts of gauze, needle and thread and a small bottle of Plantidote, but still recommends consulting a vet.
You could of course collect items separately.
Other things i saw included paper towels, ordinary towels, fresh water and long life tortoise or turtle food.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Arizona Tortoise Compound which is an active member here and a TFO supporter, sell an emergency medical kit.
It contains 10 minor surgery tools, Q-tips, organic honey sticks, hand sanitizer, surgical syringes and needles, alcohol prep pads and small amounts of gauze, needle and thread and a small bottle of Plantidote, but still recommends consulting a vet.
You could of course collect items separately.
Other things i saw included paper towels, ordinary towels, fresh water and long life tortoise or turtle food.
Now THAT'S a kit!
I'm part of the Broward School Boards emergency response team and one of four mechanics that keep our whole fleet of emergency vehicles and equipment going.
I don't know squat about first aid. Just Hurricanes.

Last edited:

JennK

Dang! I hadn't thought of that...I remember wondering how to keep them warm during a power outage but I was working on enclosures and forgot to ask around. Thanks to both of you. I hope the generators aren't expensive. Is that why some people push oil heaters?
Your more than welcome for the reminder! I also I have a "toothless" piggy bank in which I add a minimum of $20 a month for "animal" medical emergancys and unexpected add one for when I just can't say no. It's currently depleted because two months ago my German Shepard somehow magically became poisoned in her crate while we were gone... On a Sunday night when no vet office is open except the magically overly expensive ones! Ugh. And then this last month I have taken in the three rescues- iguana, Chinese water dragon, and three toed. These guys required a new enclosure that ended up running me around $350... And will be permanent residents due to various reasons. The iguana strictly because I don't know if she'll ever trust people again. The water dragon because he is now severely deformed. And the turtle because he/she seems to have had

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
We have a generator, mostly for my husbands fish tank, then of course we plug in the refrigerator, fans, etc. I would love to have
one of those "whole home" generators ! Those are big money though.
Someone said hurricanes ! Makes me want to do laundry. If I have
to rough it, I want clean clothes, towels, etc !
Don't laugh but I started stocking up on everything. I told my husband they're hurricane supplies, so he wouldn't think I was
crazy !
Then he got used to seeing it, now he calls our house mini-Publix.
Also, I learned that its good to have a roll of what I call insta-fence.
A large roll of plastic fencing about 4 feet tall in case your fence
goes down. So much to consider......

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
We have a generator, mostly for my husbands fish tank, then of course we plug in the refrigerator, fans, etc. I would love to have
one of those "whole home" generators ! Those are big money though.
Someone said hurricanes ! Makes me want to do laundry. If I have
to rough it, I want clean clothes, towels, etc !
Don't laugh but I started stocking up on everything. I told my husband they're hurricane supplies, so he wouldn't think I was
crazy !
Then he got used to seeing it, now he calls our house mini-Publix.
Also, I learned that its good to have a roll of what I call insta-fence.
A large roll of plastic fencing about 4 feet tall in case your fence
goes down. So much to consider......
The orange plastic roll of fencing? I've got that too.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Make the box turtles an outdoor enclosure for the warm weather. They like rain, they will be healthier & happier for all the time they can be outdoors. Time spent walking about indoors is not the same. Without substrate, the hard floor can eventually damage their feet and legs.

Your turtles may be able to be outside, even after a power outage.

JennK

I can't keep him outdoors because my neighborhood has a very high number of strays and raccoons. Every enclosure I have tried making outside has been broken into. So she is an indoor turtle. I have a grass mat that I put out for her as well as a digging spot for times when she is indoors and her enclosure is always open to her. She does get daily time outdoors but it needs to be supervised. I understand everyone's want for me to build her an outdoor enclosure, however I have deemed it unsafe for her to be outside unsupervised and so I do the best I can with what I have.