Emergency is she dead? Should i dig her up???

apaigec97

Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
Hello. I found a turtle about 6 months ago, she was injured, back leg was attacked by an animal. I helped her get well and everything was great after. She loves watermelon and will run to us when she sees us with watermelon and worms. She loves me and her house i built her. Yesterday my dad gave her some worms and she didnt seem as excited as usual but still ate a few. Today when we checked on her she wasn't moving. I gave her a warm soak, nothing happened. I tried messing with her legs and they move, but not limp and she doesnt pull back. Her eyes are sunk in. They look like they’re not even there anymore. It is so sad. I havent stopped crying, she has become my best friend. I buried her. I’m angry, feel like its my fault it happened. I feed her regularly, give her new water. She didnt act weird till yesterday. Should i dig her up?? Take her to the vet? I dont know if she is dead or not. Dad said she is. I tried to make myself believe she was hibernating. I keep reading and now im afraid I buried her alive. Last i looked at her i was petting her legs and under her head. Her head was out and she was looking up. Its stiff, but after her warm soak her head lowered a little bit but eyes still seem sunk and gone. Idk please help me

apaigec97

Alabama
Hello. I found a turtle about 6 months ago, she was injured, back leg was attacked by an animal. I helped her get well and everything was great after. She loves watermelon and will run to us when she sees us with watermelon and worms. She loves me and her house i built her. Yesterday my dad gave her some worms and she didnt seem as excited as usual but still ate a few. Today when we checked on her she wasn't moving. I gave her a warm soak, nothing happened. I tried messing with her legs and they move, but not limp and she doesnt pull back. Her eyes are sunk in. They look like they’re not even there anymore. It is so sad. I havent stopped crying, she has become my best friend. I buried her. I’m angry, feel like its my fault it happened. I feed her regularly, give her new water. She didnt act weird till yesterday. Should i dig her up?? Take her to the vet? I dont know if she is dead or not. Dad said she is. I tried to make myself believe she was hibernating. I keep reading and now im afraid I buried her alive. Last i looked at her i was petting her legs and under her head. Her head was out and she was looking up. Its stiff, but after her warm soak her head lowered a little bit but eyes still seem sunk and gone. Idk please help me
She is a eastern box turtle

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What have your high and low temps been lately?

apaigec97

Alabama
What have your high and low temps been lately?
The low was about 50 two weeks ago. I brought her inside for the night. The highs were mid 70’s low 60s. The rest of that week about 55 with 70-80s high. Last week was around 65 at night with highs of 80’s. Last few nights have been around 68 and during the day 85

apaigec97

Alabama
Maybe i have false hope, but if other people are keeping them for days before burying them i want to do the same i dont want her to be dead. This is what she looks like

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 92

apaigec97

Alabama
The 24 hour vets near me wont see her apparently ?. Im going to take her first thing in the morning. Is there anything i should do to help her till then?

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Oh dear, I’m so sorry to read what you’re going through. This isn’t looking good, but just incase, keep her warm until you can get her to the vet. Fingers crossed for a miracle for you and your sweet turtle. Sending healing and hugs your way. Please keep us posted.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh wow, so very sorry.
Just keep her warm, at least 80. They hibernate for winter. I dont know how deep of a'sleep they go into. She possibly could have done that.
I hope you get the outcome you are hoping for.

Kscalp

Lubbock TX
The 24 hour vets near me wont see her apparently ?. Im going to take her first thing in the morning. Is there anything i should do to help her till then?
Unfortunately some in my area don't take reptiles either. Were you able to get her seen today?

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Can you feel her breathing if you keep your hand on her limbs? This can indicate some hope. Soak her in warm water and keep her temps higher. I will pray ?

Starlight_kitsune

Colorado Springs
Nothing like a cliffhanger

I'm new here, but if this forum is anything like my other animal husbandry boards, when someone joins during an emergency and never posts again, it's not normally because it was good news. :( I'm hoping this one was a case of "crisis passed so I don't need more advice" and they neglected to update instead though.