Emergency help request (baby sleeps constantly)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Add a digital temp and humidity gauge to your list of things to get. Those dial type are not reliable at all.
Good going on quick fix.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Are you able to place food in his mouth?
If you can, keep doing so.
Also, I used unflavored Pedialite to moisten food with a Redfoot that was VERY ill instead of just tap water.
I can't say for sure how helpful it was, but the tortoise did recover and she was all but dead.
A tortoise that was healthy will not die from not eating for a week or two.
But it must drink.

cdw

5 Year Member
Do you have your light about 20 inches off the substrate and the outside temperature of your cage roughly about 80 .this is what I have for mine when I bring them in for the winter:I use a thermostat space heater for room temp:and I leave my lights on for at least 12 hrs. Hope this helps

MissyGru

Chicago, IL
Thank you everyone. Sadly, this did not have a happy ending. I actually can’t believe how much I’ve cried today over a non-mammal. He was a special buddy and I feel very guilty the setup was wrong. I did note that I measured him on 8/17 and today, he was not a millimeter bigger. Maybe there was more to it than too low humidity and the wrong kind of UV light... I guess I’ll never know for sure. My daughter doesn’t want another and my husband says we neglected him which is the farthest thing from the truth. I keep thinking how cool of an animal he was and how much I enjoyed chilling outside with him all summer long. I would think about how I’d build a summer habitat for him once he was bigger. I keep considering calling the breeder but not sure that has any purpose. Anyways, you all are a great group of people and I appreciate everything.

Missy
Are you able to place food in his mouth?
If you can, keep doing so.
Also, I used unflavored Pedialite to moisten food with a Redfoot that was VERY ill instead of just tap water.
I can't say for sure how helpful it was, but the tortoise did recover and she was all but dead.
A tortoise that was healthy will not die from not eating for a week or two.
But it must drink.
Thank you, he drank all the way up till this morning. I am very sad, he was a noble animal.

MrMarg&me

Temecula California
It is a huge responsibility to put the health and well being of another creature within our control. I look back over the years and feel regret for everything I did not know in my care of all my animals. As soon as you became aware of how best to care for your tortoise you followed that good advice. I am sorry you were not able to have more time so your tortoise could rebound and you could experience it thriving under your care.

Moxifloxi

California
Much love and hugs from far away, I hope you will consider loving another one in the future. It sounds like you were meant to be a tort owner for sure. Im so sorry for your loss

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I am so very sorry that he did not make it. Indeed, you did your very best when you knew he was sick, so you must not blame yourself for this loss. After a bit of time has passed, another little tortoise would be very lucky to be chosen or "rescued" by a human being like you!
Welcome to the "Wish I had known..." Club! It has a large membership of wise, humble and still trying human beings.

cdw

5 Year Member
Very sorry for your loss I know how that feels it totally sucks

DancesWithDinosaurs

USA
I’m so sorry. Your love shows throughout this thread.
My first posting. I'm very sorry for anyone losing a treasured creature! I just wanted to send my best wishes and to advise to avoid plastic around heat. Plastic gives off toxic fumes when exposed to heat and bright light. Torts and Turtles might outlive us. Be sure to include your pet's in your will. Let friend's or family know how many creatures you have and where they are located. A tragedy might happen to us, and our hibernating turtles might be overseen by the people stepping in to settle the estate. Very sorry again for your heartbreaking loss.