EMERGENCY HEATING

SULCATANEWBIE

The heating lamp for Pineapple broke today. All the stores have allready closed. Need a way to keep her warm for the night?

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Do you have a desk lamp or something small that you can put directly over the enclosure? Do you have handwarmers that you could wrap in a towel and put in the enclosure? You could try moving her to a smaller in enclosure that is easier to heat just temporarily. Hot water bottle might work for a while.

SULCATANEWBIE

ill try the warm water bottle and im leaving on the uv lamp so it provides a little heat. im making a little box and filling it with some socks. maybe thatl keep her warm. shes still a hatchling

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You will have to keep filling the hot water bottle throughout the night, it might not stay warm for very long.

SULCATANEWBIE

thats fine as long as she stays alive. i can put warm water in a baggie that might work better

WillTort2

5 Year Member
If you have a cooler and 2 one gallon water jugs, then put the jugs into the cooler after filling with hot water. Put a board on top of the jugs then add tortoise with a blanket. Check temperature and leave top of cooler open just a small crack.

Otherwise, put the tortoise in a box and put the box in the bed with you. Box needs to be uncrushable.

Good luck.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
But it is a hatchling so I think the heat needs to stay at least 80°.

Oh no, I understand this---but how cold is the home? If the home is in the high 60 to 70s then the tort should be aok through one night....I however would not let the tort remain within the enclosure if the party keeps the humidity high....

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
When my electric went out the tort slept in bed with me in a furry toboggan. She was toasty warm all night and I didn't have to worry.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wait. What did you use to keep the tortoise warm at night before the light went out? Were you leaving the light on 24/7? Yikes! Poor tortoise had no night time? You need a day light and a night heat source. Get yourself another ceramic fixture and plug in a ceramic heat emitter on a rheostat for night time.

This is a good thread. It helps every new tortoise keeper to realize they need to have alternate plans in mind for emergencies. How warm is it on top of your water heater?

mushmouth26

5 Year Member
Texas
You can also fill some big tube socks with rice. Tie it in a know or sew it shut.. Then Microwave it. it will hold heat for a while.

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
That can be difficult when the electrical power is out. Gas stoves can at least give emergency heat/ability to make hot water bottles...

seiff

Not related exactly, but if life or death you can always put in a small container, and inside a larger sweatshirt that you're wearing. I used to transport my lizards in bags underneath my shirt for long drives to and from college. It was a little overkill, but made me feel better.