Elongated Tortoises?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anm1221

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I don't know Much so my question is what do you know about Elongated tortoises? Are they good for a first time Tort owner?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Elongated tortoises are fantastic. They are extremely under rated. Grow pretty slow, dont get huge, very hardy. I suggest getting a captive bred baby. They dont need to have super hot heat or basking conditions like sulcatas or leopards. Are you considering getting one?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using TortForum mobile app

anm1221

5 Year Member
Maryland
tortadise said:
Elongated tortoises are fantastic. They are extremely under rated. Grow pretty slow, dont get huge, very hardy. I suggest getting a captive bred baby. They dont need to have super hot heat or basking conditions like sulcatas or leopards. Are you considering getting one?

Yes, My dad has heard me talk about wanting a tortoise since forever now and he approached me about getting one so I talked to a breeder and he said he has some elongated tortoises up and ready to be bought and I had never considered getting an elongated tortoise and knew nothing about them this is my first tortoise and I wanted some information before i bought one. I heard that they are really hardy and strong and dont get really big. and they are really inquisitive. I just wanted some information on them since this is my first time trying to possibly buy a tortoise and I havent heard of the species before. everyone tells me to get a russian/

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
What you need to do is look up the care requirements for both species you are considering.
Enclosure sizes, indoor vs outdoor, temperatures, diets..etc.

Which type of care can you provide? Which type of care are you more comfortable doing.

Let that be your guide in which species to get..

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There is a forum member that has some hatchlings. They I believe will be ready to go to their new homes soon. Another member is also getting one from this person. As soon as I can remember who it is, I will come back an let you know. From a forum member, you will be getting from someone that is recommended by other forum members.

The member is Benjamin and tortadise as gotten some of his torts from Ben also.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
My mom has 2 and as far as personality goes they dont have very much of it. It depends what you are looking for in a tort. My redfoots and radiated will follow me around and have a ton of personality. I could be wrong about elongated but this has been my obsevation with elongated. We have had them since hatchlings and they are approx. 6 inches now. They are more active early morning and late evening

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yep Benjamin has some babies. Spectacular specimens he produces of this species I might add.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
bigred said:
My mom has 2 and as far as personality goes they dont have very much of it. It depends what you are looking for in a tort. My redfoots and radiated will follow me around and have a ton of personality. I could be wrong about elongated but this has been my obsevation with elongated. We have had them since hatchlings and they are approx. 6 inches now. They are more active early morning and late evening

Wow, that surprises me. Cyan has Percy, who has the best personality I have heard of. Of course I don't live with him, but I get to hear about all is personality and his pics just bloom with personality. If I had the room, I would be owning one.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
They can vary. Being crespecular they are active in wee early hours of AM and PM. But some just dont care. I have one male that is just a fireball. Always runs up to me, looks at me. Follows me around in the greenhouse when I am in his enclosure. Then I have some babies and adults that can be kinda lack during the day. But catch them in hyper mode at night.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
They are a great species, very overlooked as a pet tortoise.

Where are you located?

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
wellington said:
bigred said:

Wow, that surprises me. Cyan has Percy, who has the best personality I have heard of. Of course I don't live with him, but I get to hear about all is personality and his pics just bloom with personality. If I had the room, I would be owning one.

The only experience I have is with those 2 that my mom has, Im sure they vary just like other species

anm1221

5 Year Member
Maryland
thanks for alll the information and all of the input i will be sure to consider them im researching needs and requirements now so that i may choose which I want

hlim18

5 Year Member
HCMC Vietnam
Yap elongated tortoise are just awesome. You just need to remember one thing elongated tortoise gets de-hydrated cery easily when kept outdoors, so put a huge water bowl or an shallow pond that is drinkable

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
they look like a mix between a greek and a sully, looks awesome!! i always thought that was just a way the tortoises shell grew or something, never really knew that they were a different species or torts! thats sweet =] ya learn something new everyday =]

Status
Not open for further replies.