Elongated Tortoises

jagarcia14

Not too long ago I acquired an Elongated Tortoise hatchling. Reading up on the species, I saw that they can be kind of shy and that they are active mostly at dusk and dawn.

I'm wondering how much UV light this species needs. I understand the rule of thumb about lights on and lights off, and I run lights about 14 hours per day now, but indoors or outdoors, this animal has an aversion to bright light and/or higher temperatures. When outdoors, it will always go under foliage, at any time of the day. Indoors, it prefers a hide.

Does anyone have information or opinions about running UV lights for this species?

Thanks!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi and welcome?
What sort of lights are you using indoors?
If you have any coiled/looped sorts they can damage torts eyes so stop using them asap.

I use an MVB which gives light heat and uv rays in one bulb.

If you show a picture of your enclosure then people will be able to offer advice based on that.

It could be hiding because it is settling in and not yet feeling safe and secure, they are trying to avoid predators etc.
There is probably a caresheet for your tort to tell you what temps/humidity etc should be.
The Enclosures thread will give you great ideas, and Beginners Mistakes will help you lean from other peoples mistakes.

Last edited:

jagarcia14

Thanks. Fluorescents for UV. Heat from ceramics.

I understand about the requirements as written. I'm wondering, because of what I observe in the behavior, what would be practical.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks. Fluorescents for UV. Heat from ceramics.

I understand about the requirements as written. I'm wondering, because of what I observe in the behavior, what would be practical.
A picture of the enclosure will give everyone a much better idea of things that could be affecting behaviour - it could be other things apart from lights.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
They like a lot of areas to hide and or rather dense shaded areas outside. Direct sun they can't handle nor like, especially in the summer. Indoors they should be active and any 5.0-10.0 is just fine for this species. Also depends on the size of specimen you have, all the wee guys from babies to about 1.5 years old can kinda be timid. But beyond that they're very outgoing.