Elongated Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
Hey Everyone!!
I have a few questions about Elongated Tortoises. I was wondering if their care is similar to redfoots. Also would they do well down here in Florida? What are their care requirements such as diet, temperatures, humidity, etc.... I think these are a gorgeous species (I love their pink noses!). Also are they hard to obtain? I'm thinking those will be my next tortoise after I get my hands on a yellowfoot. :) I will not be housing them together!!!!!

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Good Questions, Im currently caring for my Aunts Breeding Pair. I hope someone can answer these questions, since very little known about this species.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Look down a couple threads to Kenny's question on them. HLogic pretty much nails it. The only thing my experience differs from his, is mine were pretty secretive, even after a couple of years. Also, the pink coloration is only when they're sexually active.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
I agree with Harris---see HLogic's reply to the thread about elongated tortoises below.
In addition to what Art said I would add that there seems to be a big difference in whether or not an elongated tortoise was wild caught or captive bred. In my experience with these tortoises the wild caught animals are typically shy...sometimes very shy even after years in captivity. But captive hatched and raised elongateds can be very outgoing and robust animals! Do yourself a favor and only consider a captive hatched elongata as your first tortoise of this species.
There is a super breeder of elongateds (and other tortoises) in Florida named Matt Jablonski and his company name is Green Monkey Frog. He is extremely reputable and his captive elongated tortoises are as fine as you can get. I have threatened to get a few of his 'banana heads' every year at the Expo in Daytona just because they are so flawless and healthy.
One more thing that was already mentioned but that I would stress...elongated tortoises should be kept like yellow foots, keep them humid and in a well planted environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.