Elongated space

Kaden

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hello! I'm new to tortoise keeping and am looking into getting some elongated tortoises and was wondering how much space is needed for two, and how much is needed for a trio. Also, im aware that they can eat worms and things of that nature on occasion, and was wondering if they could eat red runner roaches as well. Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome! I've always loved this species, but I have no experience with them as my area is no good for them.

There is no set amount of space needed. This has not been scientifically studied for any species of tortoise. If you keep them in something too small, health and behavioral issues can develop. Just go as large as you can. Since they can grow to 12" a standard 4x8' indoor enclosure over winter won't be big enough. You'll probably need to devote an entire room to a trio. Tortoises need more floor space in their enclosure than many other reptile. In summer, a large, well planted, outdoor enclosure in TX should be great for them.

I'd never keep a pair. Go with a trio or more, or just a single. Tortoises in pairs don't do well.

Here are some general tips:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Good luck and keep us posted. I'd love to see pics and learn more about the species.

Ramirezm2

5 Year Member
Elk Grove CA
The more space the better! Just as long as they can easily access food, water, basking, and hide. Just pay closely attention to temperature and humidity if the enclosure is big

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is a pretty old thread. The OP hasn't visited the Forum in a couple years.