Elongated Behavior??

mcidcbcmd

I have had an elongated for about a month...He is fairly active but spends most of the time in a log hide. He does eat and bath but we almost have to remove him from the hide to do so. He seems fine just not very active. This is our first tortoise..is this a normal thing? We believe he is 3 yrs. old...also temps are 70-75 degrees with a basking area 90-95 and a small water dish...any thoughts on what we should do for him? Or is this a normal day for an elongated??

mikeh

5 Year Member
What is the lighting like? Elongated prefer low diffused light and may avoid/hide from bright lights. Humidity and moisture levels should be high.

mcidcbcmd

mikeh said:
What is the lighting like? Elongated prefer low diffused light and may avoid/hide from bright lights. Humidity and moisture levels should be high.

I have a UVB light 26 watt and a 100 degree heat lamp for basking...what or how would you moisten the tortoise enclosure?? Should I use a spray bottle with water several times a day? What would work best?

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Elongated Behavior??

mcidcbcmd said:
mikeh said:

I have a UVB light 26 watt and a 100 degree heat lamp for basking...what or how would you moisten the tortoise enclosure?? Should I use a spray bottle with water several times a day? What would work best?

Can you post pictures of the enclosure? What size is it? Kind of substrate?
What type of UVB light? Tube or coil?

100F is too high. Closer to 90F. What wattage is the heat bulb?

For now spray the substrate with water, including the tortoise and inside of the hide keeping it moist. Once you post good pictures of what the enclosure looks like inside we can guide you further.

mcidcbcmd

mikeh said:
mcidcbcmd said:
mikeh said:

Can you post pictures of the enclosure? What size is it? Kind of substrate?
What type of UVB light? Tube or coil?

100F is too high. Closer to 90F. What wattage is the heat bulb?

For now spray the substrate with water, including the tortoise and inside of the hide. Once you post good pictures of what the enclosure looks like inside we can guide you further.

Substrate is Tropical red cypress here is the link: http://www.thatpetplace.com/tropical-red-cypress

UVB is a coil light, here are the pics
/Users/marksid/Desktop/photo 1.JPG
/Users/marksid/Desktop/photo 2.JPG
/Users/marksid/Desktop/photo 4.JPG
/Users/marksid/Desktop/photo 3.JPG

/Users/marksid/Desktop/photo 5.JPG

Thanks for the help...Its my daughters and we are new to the tort hobby..let me know what you think??? Are humidifiers ok??? Cool mist etc???

Benjamin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
zone 7b
Likely too warm and bright as mentioned, even 90f may be too hot. Mid 70s to 80sF and humid.

mcidcbcmd

Benjamin said:
Likely too warm and bright as mentioned, even 90f may be too hot. Mid 70s to 80sF and humid.

what substrate/ way is there to keep moisture and humidity? Right now I am using red cyprus mulch