Elongata Egg Fertilization Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Probably around 11:00AM - 12:00N. I would think that they would have gone into the hide by that time of day.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
All good advice so far :) Not sure though the male is quite big enough or experienced enough to get the job done (he might be able to though). This though will at least give him much needed experience, to figure out what to do. :p
If he does manage to mate with her, she will lay 30 to 45 days later. So I'd stop the every other day with the male after 20 days and wait to start up again (if she doesn't lay) after 45 days. This will give the female a chance to unstress and lay her eggs.
Your going to need a substrate about 12 inches deep (your outside enclosure looks like it can handle that) for egg laying.

Danny

Pepper.

5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
All good advice so far :) Not sure though the male is quite big enough or experienced enough to get the job done (he might be able to though). This though will at least give him much needed experience, to figure out what to do. :p
If he does manage to mate with her, she will lay 30 to 45 days later. So I'd stop the every other day with the male after 20 days and wait to start up again (if she doesn't lay) after 45 days. This will give the female a chance to unstress and lay her eggs.
Your going to need a substrate about 12 inches deep (your outside enclosure looks like it can handle that) for egg laying.

Danny

Hi Dan, seeing another tort expert reply on this thread sure made my day. My male already did his thing(mated the female) once, this happened on the first day that they were joined under my outdoor enclosure. But after that he hasn't been able to do it again, so I skipped the "every other day" method and been joining them together everyday, upon careful observation, the female isn't stressed with the male since they never did IT again after the first time. And the female seems very comfortable having the male around, they're sleeping like babies beside each other all the time and not making any quarrels or such. About the needed substrate, I'm about to change the substrate of my outdoor enclosure from alpine hay(current) to natural soil(w/out fert.), would this be better? And regarding to what you said about "12 inches", is this a typo? Because you mentioned that my outdoor enclosure can handle that but my substrate is only 2-3 inches deep not 12 inches. Thanks in advance Danny, I am looking forward to more of your useful replies. God bless you.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
No, not a typo :p Your going to need about 12 inches of soil for the female to dig a nest in. How high are the sides of your outside enclosure?
Just because the male had his tail under the female and was moving her around doesn't mean he got his penis inside her. :D Usually when a male Elongated is inside a female and does that little shake, both animals will shake at the same time and in cink with each other. From the video it didn't look to me like he was inside her.
If he's not now paying attention to the female, than it isn't breeding season. At least the male doesn't think so. I would seperate them and look for the males nose area to get much redder if he was in breeding condition.

Danny

Pepper.

5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
No, not a typo :p Your going to need about 12 inches of soil for the female to dig a nest in. How high are the sides of your outside enclosure?
Just because the male had his tail under the female and was moving her around doesn't mean he got his penis inside her. :D Usually when a male Elongated is inside a female and does that little shake, both animals will shake at the same time and in cink with each other. From the video it didn't look to me like he was inside her.
If he's not now paying attention to the female, than it isn't breeding season. At least the male doesn't think so. I would seperate them and look for the males nose area to get much redder if he was in breeding condition.

Danny

Noted. Thanks Dan.

Status
Not open for further replies.