Ellie a wild leopard

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Googled "Addis Ababa weather" haha. Is it accurate? I'm amazed at the temps these torts can live through in the wild. I constantly look up the temps of the locations of Leopard Torts. I couldn't imagine a keeper keeping their tort in the night time temperatures found in Addis Ababa... fascinating.

http://www.addis-ababa.climatemps.com/temperatures.php
I totally agree with you. It really is remarkable! Also, looking at the shells, there is absolutely no pyramiding which is crazy. They are absolutely gorgeous! I wonder if there is something about the diet or temperature range or something that scientists have missed that produces such healthy specimens.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
This is not right. It gets hot in Ethiopia.
Addis is higher elevation than the rift valley part of the country. They don't reproduce in Addis for the most part. Most animals in Addis were brought there from lower elevations.

@rearlpettway I think I have been told to upload the video to youtube, then put the youtube video's link here and it will make a window in the post that shows the video.

Southern California
Addis is higher elevation than the rift valley part of the country. They don't reproduce in Addis for the most part. Most animals in Addis were brought there from lower elevations.

@rearlpettway I think I have been told to upload the video to youtube, then put the youtube video's link here and it will make a window in the post that shows the video.
I was going to say that as well. It is still very interesting that tortoises thrive in that weather.

Nickypoo

Addis is higher elevation than the rift valley part of the country. They don't reproduce in Addis for the most part. Most animals in Addis were brought there from lower elevations."

True, I guess we can't assume it hatched there. This particular tortoise aside, it still seems like there are some that make it in cooler areas. Which makes no sense to me after watching 70 degree night temps destroy a hatchling. I know this topic has been heavily covered in this forum and from my limited knowledge and experience, I agree with Toms previous comments on this subject that in captivity you'd struggle to raise a healthy tort from a hatchling with the Addis temp numbers. Perhaps the torts we find in these colder temps were associated to relocation or migrations.

It's still amazing to see the variety of conditions Leopards are found in. I found this video fascinating (it's a bit long but not for the tort addicted members of this forum).

Southern California
True, I guess we can't assume it hatched there. This particular tortoise aside, it still seems like there are some that make it in cooler areas. Which makes no sense to me after watching 70 degree night temps destroy a hatchling. I know this topic has been heavily covered in this forum and from my limited knowledge and experience, I agree with Toms previous comments on this subject that in captivity you'd struggle to raise a healthy tort from a hatchling with the Addis temp numbers. Perhaps the torts we find in these colder temps were associated to relocation or migrations.

It's still amazing to see the variety of conditions Leopards are found in. I found this video fascinating (it's a bit long but not for the tort addicted members of this forum).
I love this video! I can't stop watching it. It is extremely fascinating.