Elk meat for Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
Alright here's the big question. I've red where Redfoots eat deer carcass in Brazil. I bought some Elk meat at the butcher shop that I buy my dogs raw meat at. I've also heard people on this site say that they feed some of their tortoise Chicken. Do any of you do this and is there anything that I should know about feeding this to Dale? I've been feeding him egg for his protein and trying to get him to eat the cat food, but he just doesnt' like it. I've even grounded the cat food up and spinkled it on his food and do you know he will still try to eat around it. Anyway I'll be waiting for the answers...should be interesting. :D Candy

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
Elk meat is awesome....where did you get it???? It is low in fat and better for you than beef. I used to eat it all the time in OR. I have won chili cook offs with my elk/deer chili. Oh again I miss stuff from OR. If Dale can eat lowfat cuts of beef I don't see why not, But again I am ne expert. I want some for the people at my house. :p

Dawna

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Dawna if I give you the name of the place I want one of your chili recipes :D. I got the name of the place from my vet (Rose City Vet. in San Gabriel). She feeds her dogs the BARF diet (you can find it on the internet) it's a raw food diet for dogs and my dogs love it. Anyway, back to the place.....The name of it is HF Meats, Inc. 2824 Foothill Blvd. La Crescenta, CA 91214 and there phone number is (818) 248-3068. The owners name is Sonny. Candy

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
I change the recipe every time slightly. My trick is using already cooked meat. Leftover roast cut in cubes, taco meat from last night, etc. and use the crock pot for 8+ hours. Beans go in near the end. Oh and Shelby's chili seasoning used to be in a bag, now in a box. Make corn bread and an easy meal.

Thanks I will go by there.

Dawna

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
O.K. since nobody but Dawna posted and Dale kept looking at me funny I went ahead and gave him the elk meat this morning. I've got to admit he loved it. I don't know if he's ever had anything like that before, but I can tell you he'll be looking for more of it from the way he ate it. So far so good hopefully it will stay that way. If anyone else has anything to add please do I'd like to know what you think. Candy :)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Glad he liked it! I was happy today because I got to pick up Trevor's favorite food at a special market since we were in the area--radish sprouts. He'll go crazy for them tomorrow.

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
Hey Candy. Sorta off topic. I went into the Valumart foods @ Rsmd/Longden and they have cleaned up and expanded their produce dept. Found they have turnip greens, beet greens, escarole, kale, collard, mustard, a bunch of different lettuces, etc. pretty much you name it. .99 cents per bunch. Also had cleaned and shredded cactus. I was there to get drinks for the baseball team but got some other stuff too. I discovered the kids all like cactus. :D

Dawna

KQ6AR

10 Year Member!
Concord, CA
Hey,
Don't feed that to the tortoise, send it to me. It's my favorite!
:rolleyes:

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I've never even tried or thought of trying elk meat. I never even thought about it until I read that Redfoots feed off of the carcass. Anyway good thing Dale is fine today after he ate it yesterday. He was up waiting for his breakfast about 10:00 this morning and then I took him out and soaked him at about 1:00 this afternoon and let him walk around my room. I will definetly be feeding him more of this so he gets his protein that he needs. I don't know If I'll try any myself though. I did give the extra meat (raw) to both of my dogs and they seemed to like it. Anyway if anyone has any information on any other kind of meat that they give to their Redfoots could you let me know? Candy

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Hey Candy....Do you cook that Elk meat for Dale? (not that I would be able to find any here in NY) I tried putting a worm in for Pio, and when he saw it he ran into his hide as fast as his little fat legs could go. I have tried every kind of worm, slug etc. He is scared to death of anything that wiggles or moves. Won't eat chicken or beef hearts either. The only thing he will eat so far is the cat food and a little hard boiled egg for protein.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
He sounds sooooo cute. Yes I gave it to him uncooked. He really seemed to like it. Not as much as kiwi or blueberries, but he liked it. I'd check online and see if there's any private butchers that might have it you never know. I just bought a pound because I didn't know how he would do with it. I'm still curious if they eat any other kinds of meat. :) Candy

tortelini

5 Year Member
Newberg, OR
I've got a freezer full of elk but I never thought of wasting such goodness on my animals.. LOL!

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
Since I live in Oregon, I get Elk Jerky all the time from some of my hunting buddies but have never had elk meat to eat. Actually I turned down several steaks that they offered me.

KQ6AR

10 Year Member!
Concord, CA
Of all the game meats I've eaten elk is one of the least gamy, & very good. The only ones I like as much are caribou & moose.
By all means cook a little & try it, unless you're a vegetarian.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
tortelini said:
I've got a freezer full of elk but I never thought of wasting such goodness on my animals.. LOL!

My husband always complains that I feed the animals before I feed the kids. I've got to admit he's right. I figure it this way my kids can reach the food the animals can't makes sense to me. I've got to admit the elk meat cost I think $4.95 a pound, but that could feed Dale for a long time. :D Candy

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Candy...one of my boys friend's used to give us venison steaks. That's about as close to game meat that we ever got. I have 5 boys. The last one just left for college this year. So I understand the joys of raising all these boys.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
terryo said:
Candy...one of my boys friend's used to give us venison steaks. That's about as close to game meat that we ever got. I have 5 boys. The last one just left for college this year. So I understand the joys of raising all these boys.

Boys are great. My oldest is going to college at Loyola University in Chicago. He's not use to the cold weather, but he does love it there. His major is Political Science and he eventually wants to end up in Washington D.C. I am very proud of him he's tried hard to reach his dream, but it was very hard to watch him go because I've never really been away from him that long. What college is your son going to? Do you have any girls? I say that you can just grind those steaks up and give Pio some he should love it. :D Candy

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
No Girls...5 boys. They youngest is at Binghamton..upstate NY. The others all own a Tile business here in NY and are married...I have 7 grandchildren. Only one of my sons has the love of turtles...gardening ...nature. ..etc. He lives around the corner from me and has a pond also.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
terryo said:
Hey Candy....Do you cook that Elk meat for Dale? (not that I would be able to find any here in NY) I tried putting a worm in for Pio, and when he saw it he ran into his hide as fast as his little fat legs could go. I have tried every kind of worm, slug etc. He is scared to death of anything that wiggles or moves. Won't eat chicken or beef hearts either. The only thing he will eat so far is the cat food and a little hard boiled egg for protein.

:D :D Thanks for my foolish grin of the day! :D

KQ6AR said:
Of all the game meats I've eaten elk is one of the least gamy, & very good. The only ones I like as much are caribou & moose.
By all means cook a little & try it, unless you're a vegetarian.

I want to eat a few meals at your place. Haven't yet had the pleasure of elk, let alone caribou and moose. :cool:

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Toronto
Gourmet wild game???

what a world... out tortoises eat better than most people!

Status
Not open for further replies.