elevating humidity in hide

Status
Not open for further replies.

mintybum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Grimsby, Lincolnshire, UK
ive just made a new hide for humidity the gauge is reading 65-70% at best it has substrate and sphagnum moss down, shall i add a heat source to it? under or on top?

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Whether or not you should add a heat source depends on the temperature. You can bring up the humidity by misting the sphagnum down and misting the inside of the hide.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Hi. I have a humid hide for my baby Sulcatas. Here is how I have it set up: It's a 8"x6"x5" plastic index card box. I attached a sponge to the top of it that I keep pretty damp. The substrate in the bottom of the box is coco coir that I will occasionally moisten. I use a small ZooMed heating pad under the enclosure and place the humid hide directly above that. The daytime temp/humidity inside the box is 86/84%--Night time temps are 82/80%. It's been pretty consistent. Hope that helps. :)

mintybum

10 Year Member!
Grimsby, Lincolnshire, UK
AnthonyC said:
Hi. I have a humid hide for my baby Sulcatas. Here is how I have it set up: It's a 8"x6"x5" plastic index card box. I attached a sponge to the top of it that I keep pretty damp. The substrate in the bottom of the box is coco coir that I will occasionally moisten. I use a small ZooMed heating pad under the enclosure and place the humid hide directly above that. The daytime temp/humidity inside the box is 86/84%--Night time temps are 82/80%. It's been pretty consistent. Hope that helps. :)

I THOUGHT ABOUT A HEAT MAT but wasnt sure, i know a lot of torty keepers arent keen of them, i'd rather do that than shine a bulb on it for safety reasons. i'll try the sponge too, sound a great idea.
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.