Eight Rescued Tortoises!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I think Aldabraman has his private message feature here turned off. You'll have to try contacting him on either faunaclassified.com or kingsnake.com

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I could be wrong, but I do not believe Aldabraman sells retail anymore.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
I messaged him on Fauna, I guess I'll see what he says. If not I'll have to start looking around. Bummer since he is from my area.
Since you’re in the market for an Aldabra, this thread I’ve pasted below has some valuable information from Aldabraman.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I found him. Wish I would have read your reply before reffering to him as Mr. Aldabraman ?. Thank you Yvonne.
I'm pretty sure Greg doesn't mind being called Aldabraman. That's what he uses as his forum name and what we use when we need to send an alert too him.

SanctuaryHills

Miami, FL
So I promised pictures of the current set up. It was a former rabbit pen. Gets both sun and shade and best of all I can move it inside the patio at night and lock it up tight to keep raccoons at bay. Rigging one of my warming bulbs in there also wouldn't be hard. In the rare case I need it.

I'm planning to build something more "legit" this weekend. Or perhaps upgrade this current set up. Any tips?

PS: @wellington again, I can't thank you enough. Weeks of googling and researching yet it was you who led me to my dream tortoise in mere minutes. Truly a fountain a knowledge.

Attachments

• 20210831_123332.jpg
    20210831_123332.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 19
  • 20210831_102043.jpg
    20210831_102043.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 20

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I didnt really say much. Just wanted you to be able to see what you will be looking at, just on a smaller scale with Aldabramans threads and that there care won't be cheap.
However, I'm always glad to help talk someone into getting their dream tort.
As I think you already know, with the build you are doing this weekend, he does need more space for roaming. S/he will be big and they grow pretty fast, so strong muscles and room to build them are a must.

SanctuaryHills

Miami, FL
I didnt really say much. Just wanted you to be able to see what you will be looking at, just on a smaller scale with Aldabramans threads and that there care won't be cheap.
However, I'm always glad to help talk someone into getting their dream tort.
As I think you already know, with the build you are doing this weekend, he does need more space for roaming. S/he will be big and they grow pretty fast, so strong muscles and room to build them are a must.
Noted! I'll build a roomy enclosure that allows him to graze around. Make sure there are some hills in there too =)

Little guy/gal has been pretty chill since arriving, pretty much staying in one spot. I've been trying to leave it alone the most I can as not to scare him too much. Would you say that's common behavior?

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
It is going to need a bigger enclosure than that very soon. Our first enclosure for three aldabras the size of yours was 8x12 and they needed a larger one after about one year. Mostly due to the size of their night box. Now they are in a 16x16 enclosure and after 3 years it is far too small.

The mesh isn't really ideal but I should work until you can get something built. I would make sure that that it is small enough that he can't get an arm or leg through it. One so it doesn't get stuck or break it and two so the arm isn't eaten by an animal like a rat. Yes that can happen, rodents are going to be attracted to the smell of the cage.

The hide in that enclosure should be heated to 85 degrees and kept very humid (85-95%). The nights in Florida, even the southern most parts are not warm enough for these guys to be kept without heat. Heating the night box will lower the humidity. Since they spend so much time in there it is important that the humidity is very high to help prevent the shells from pyramiding. I don't know if you can actually train them but we never let ours stay out of the night box, even if it is plenty warm. I have heard about the insane costs of the vet bills when these guys get big, so anything I can do to prevent that is worth it.

Make sure the enclosure doesn't get too much sun. The dark shells get very hot, very fast and they need to be able to hide. Even if the hide gets hot in the sun, it is better than being directly exposed.

The behavior you are seeing is pretty normal. Ours absolutely hate being moved to new places. If we put them out in a field they may sit there for an entire day without moving. After three years they are still terrified of us but everyone says that changes with time.

SanctuaryHills

Miami, FL
It is going to need a bigger enclosure than that very soon. Our first enclosure for three aldabras the size of yours was 8x12 and they needed a larger one after about one year. Mostly due to the size of their night box. Now they are in a 16x16 enclosure and after 3 years it is far too small.

The mesh isn't really ideal but I should work until you can get something built. I would make sure that that it is small enough that he can't get an arm or leg through it. One so it doesn't get stuck or break it and two so the arm isn't eaten by an animal like a rat. Yes that can happen, rodents are going to be attracted to the smell of the cage.

The hide in that enclosure should be heated to 85 degrees and kept very humid (85-95%). The nights in Florida, even the southern most parts are not warm enough for these guys to be kept without heat. Heating the night box will lower the humidity. Since they spend so much time in there it is important that the humidity is very high to help prevent the shells from pyramiding. I don't know if you can actually train them but we never let ours stay out of the night box, even if it is plenty warm. I have heard about the insane costs of the vet bills when these guys get big, so anything I can do to prevent that is worth it.

Make sure the enclosure doesn't get too much sun. The dark shells get very hot, very fast and they need to be able to hide. Even if the hide gets hot in the sun, it is better than being directly exposed.

The behavior you are seeing is pretty normal. Ours absolutely hate being moved to new places. If we put them out in a field they may sit there for an entire day without moving. After three years they are still terrified of us but everyone says that changes with time.
Wow thanks, that was quite insightful. Really glad to hear about the wire size as I would have probably picked out the same one for the new enclosure I'm putting together. I checked my outdoor sensors and the temp does drop lower than 85 at night so I'll have that warming light running in a few!

Humidity doesn't concern me as much. It's VERY humid here and the mulch helps too. I've got a few other reptiles and amphibians so I'm also used to giving everyone a nice mist regularly.

And yet another reason I've fallen in love with this forum. Common "internet wisdom", from what I've seen el where blames HIGH humidity for pyramiding. But I've been lurking here for a while and can't argue with the results y'all get :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210831-164059_SensorPush.jpg
    Screenshot_20210831-164059_SensorPush.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 5

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Noted! I'll build a roomy enclosure that allows him to graze around. Make sure there are some hills in there too =)

Little guy/gal has been pretty chill since arriving, pretty much staying in one spot. I've been trying to leave it alone the most I can as not to scare him too much. Would you say that's common behavior?
Yes, little ones of any species can be very shy when plopped in a new area and without any of its buddies it may have had.
This next thing is debatable. I handled my leopard hatchlings a lot. I would touch their legs, feet, neck and heads while I sat with them crawling on me. I now, since they were very young, around 2 or 3, can touch them, pick them up, scratch their heads and grab their legs without them pulling in and acting scared. Different species I know. However, I feel more human exposure, the better it will be if ever they do have to go to a vet or if I have to examine them for some reason.
Mine also seem to take changes without stress. They have had many new homes without stress.

SanctuaryHills

Miami, FL
Yes, little ones of any species can be very shy when plopped in a new area and without any of its buddies it may have had.
This next thing is debatable. I handled my leopard hatchlings a lot. I would touch their legs, feet, neck and heads while I sat with them crawling on me. I now, since they were very young, around 2 or 3, can touch them, pick them up, scratch their heads and grab their legs without them pulling in and acting scared. Different species I know. However, I feel more human exposure, the better it will be if ever they do have to go to a vet or if I have to examine them for some reason.
Mine also seem to take changes without stress. They have had many new homes without stress.
Interesting. I like your approach,it makes a lot of sense. I'm thinking I'll keep my exposure to a minimum at least for the next few days since to your point, he must be freaking out right now.

Then after a few days I'll start showing Mitch more love (not like I'll be able to help myself anyways ?)

The previous owner said its previous diet was all grazing. So all I've done so far is throw a handful of Bermuda grass in there and some random weeds I know to be safe. But I haven't seen him eating even when I secretly spy on him from the window.

I'm hoping his new day enclosure, which will sit directly on the turf will encourage some eating.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Wow thanks, that was quite insightful. Really glad to hear about the wire size as I would have probably picked out the same one for the new enclosure I'm putting together. I checked my outdoor sensors and the temp does drop lower than 85 at night so I'll have that warming light running in a few!

Humidity doesn't concern me as much. It's VERY humid here and the mulch helps too. I've got a few other reptiles and amphibians so I'm also used to giving everyone a nice mist regularly.

And yet another reason I've fallen in love with this forum. Common "internet wisdom", from what I've seen el where blames HIGH humidity for pyramiding. But I've been lurking here for a while and can't argue with the results y'all get :)
I wouldn't suggest using wire on the cage anywhere below eye level of the tortoise. If he can see out he will likely constantly try to push out or pace along the sides. It will be stressful for him and take a toll on his appearance as the wire wears down the shell. Above eye level the wire mesh is a great idea.

I know it seems plenty humid in Florida but anything you add to the night box to create heat will burn off the humidity significantly. It will spend most of its time in the night box and its easier to manage the humidity in there than in the larger outdoor section.

SanctuaryHills

Miami, FL
I wouldn't suggest using wire on the cage anywhere below eye level of the tortoise. If he can see out he will likely constantly try to push out or pace along the sides. It will be stressful for him and take a toll on his appearance as the wire wears down the shell. Above eye level the wire mesh is a great idea.

I know it seems plenty humid in Florida but anything you add to the night box to create heat will burn off the humidity significantly. It will spend most of its time in the night box and its easier to manage the humidity in there than in the larger outdoor section.
Great advise on the lower portion. I'll use wood there. Thank you!

Im installing the heat lamp as I type this. When I'm done I'll place a temp/humidity tracker in the shed overnight to get some data. Perhaps having a water dish near the heat source together with the mulch will help keep the humidity at an acceptable level. If not I'll just go with an automatic mister for the night.

I really really appreciate all the advise, I mean it. For my entire adult life I've kept all sorts of pets, including skinks, and more dart frogs than I can count (I LOVE building vivariums) but turtoises are brand new to me. I already love this little guy or girl (been calling it Mitch)..

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Great advise on the lower portion. I'll use wood there. Thank you!

Im installing the heat lamp as I type this. When I'm done I'll place a temp/humidity tracker in the shed overnight to get some data. Perhaps having a water dish near the heat source together with the mulch will help keep the humidity at an acceptable level. If not I'll just go with an automatic mister for the night.

I really really appreciate all the advise, I mean it. For my entire adult life I've kept all sorts of pets, including skinks, and more dart frogs than I can count (I LOVE building vivariums) but turtoises are brand new to me. I already love this little guy or girl (been calling it Mitch)..
I wouldnt use a mister at night. Wet and too cold will make a sick tort quickly. A bucket of warm water, one you know he can't get into or tip over or Tom uses milk jugs with the tops off for his adult sulcatas in CA where it's not as humid as FL granted adults don't need quite as high as babies but it should do the trick I would think in FL. Just be sure the temp is correct too.

SanctuaryHills

Miami, FL
I wouldnt use a mister at night. Wet and too cold will make a sick tort quickly. A bucket of warm water, one you know he can't get into or tip over or Tom uses milk jugs with the tops off for his adult sulcatas in CA where it's not as humid as FL granted adults don't need quite as high as babies but it should do the trick I would think in FL. Just be sure the temp is correct too.
Got it. I like the warm water idea. I even have a regulating heating pad I can use to keep things on point if needed.

I got him under the heat lamp right now at 85 degrees exact. Humidity 75%. Let's see how it holds up over night.

I was also thinking about your previous advise regarding the wire going all the way down and possibly scratching the shell. So I'll also line that bottom wood frame with some rubber strips for some extra cushion. Gotta go all out for Mitch!

Kymberlyn

Southern Ohio - Zone 6b
Good day everyone. Recently a friend contacted me about adopting some red footed tortoises. Knowing I have plenty of space and a soft spot for rescued animals he was sure I wouldn't refuse. And I didn't.

I got 8 tortoises total. Both males and females (including two cherry heads!) and they are all healthy and quite happy in their South Florida home.

My favorite part about them so far is how incredibly friendly they are. Like suuuhuuper friendly. I love how they've learned I'm the food guy so they all come up to me. They almost feel like living "boulders" that come to life all across the yard when they sense me come outside.

I've enjoyed them so much that know I've started doing a bunch of research on tortoises and become really interested in the Aldabra species.
They are just so expensive!

As sad as it makes me I'm actually leaning towards selling these or bartering to afford the Aldabra I want.

Would you guys know of a good and safe marketplace for tortoises?

Thank you so much! Look forward to meeting y'all!
What a good friend that was to give you these beautiful tortoises. I bet it is a beautiful sight to see them respond to you. Enjoy and take good care of them. I hope you find a way to get your aldabra someday soon.