Egyptian Tortoise not eating ?

Egyptian S

Okay so I'm a brand new tortoise owner. My dad bought me an Egyptian tortoise as a gift and it took me a couple of days to figure out it's species.

I think it's a male, about 9 years of age and he seems to be In good health( I looked up the signs)

Anyways moving on, I live in Egypt and the weather here is hot and dry and at night it gets nice an breezy. The climate is suitable for this tortoise and it's adapted to it.

Now my problem is that he hasn't been eating for two weeks now since I got him and I'm freaking out, I've been giving him lettuce, cucumber, basil leaves and I even tried watermelon and apples and he still won't eat. He is drinking water regularly but hasn't been eating. He urinates and he defecated the day before yesterday so I guess he's been in good health.

He is pretty active in the morning, and keeps trying to find hiding spots, but as soon as noon arrives he sleeps the rest of the day until the next morning

I keep him outdoors I don't have a tortoise table or enclosure for him

I bought him from a pet store and when I went back to the store to tell him he's not eating he told me to keep him in a big box and trap him there with the food for a couple of days and for sure he will eat. I honestly found that pretty harsh but I was so desperate. I did that and now he's trying to get out of the box and still not eating. I don't know what's wrong. I know this species is hard to keep but it was a surprise for me and I was clueless about it and I'm desperate for a solution because I know that his species is endangered making me more stressful.

There is absolutely no reptile vet or any vet even where I live and I'm new to owning pets so I'm pretty clueless. I appreciate any help from you guys.

Egyptian S

That's an old picture he's sleeping at the moment ☺️

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    413.1 KB · Views: 27

spud's_mum

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Aww he's beautiful!
Not eating is often because of temperature. Are you sure it's high enough?
Is he acting ok otherwise?
I wouldn't lock him in a room.

Egyptian S

The temperature outside is around 40 degrees celcuis ☺️

He's acting perfectly fine otherwise

And nope he's not lockeup at all he's on the roof wandering around. I've had him for 2 weeks now.

There is some shade on the roof too so not to worry

Egyptian S

I've heard about aestivation where they stop eating in summer I'm not sure if he's doing that right now or not. I do soak him and he loves it and yes I keep a water bowl and provide shade. He's perfectly fine but I just want to know why exactly is he not eating it's stressing me out. If he's going through aestivation I'll calm down a bit

Egyptian S

I'm really sorry for the disturbance but right now he's in a box with some lettuce and water I'm keeping him as the pet store guy told me. Should I keep doing that? Is it right ?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
You might try having an area of soil, with growing plants that the tortoise can walk into. Growing plants is the key. If the plants are growing then the soil is moist and the tortoise will show you that an elevated dessication platform (roof top) only works if there is some moist soil to bury into, they are a burrowing species. If they don't have a secure retreat they won't find comfort and security. They experience anxiety in the sense that of some aspect of their needs is not met they will seek it and forgo other things, like food, (especially males).

Really nice looking tortoise.

Egyptian S

You might try having an area of soil, with growing plants that the tortoise can walk into. Growing plants is the key. If the plants are growing then the soil is moist and the tortoise will show you that an elevated dessication platform (roof top) only works if there is some moist soil to bury into, they are a burrowing species. If they don't have a secure retreat they won't find comfort and security. They experience anxiety in the sense that of some aspect of their needs is not met they will seek it and forgo other things, like food, (especially males).

Really nice looking tortoise.

Thanks alot that was really helpful :)

Ya he's really cute :3