Egyptian Tortoise -- Coming home soon!

ShirleyTX

Location (City and/or State)
Canyon Lake TX USA
Hello everyone! I have been lurking on the forum for a while, studying in preparation for a tortoise of my own. I have been studying the articles and forums and Facebook groups for several years.

I live in south central Texas. I am retired and a grandmother. We have a large native grass/weeds yard, so at first I thought about a sulcata. What personalities they have! But we have four dogs and the logistics of separating our large yard was too much for me. Then I learned of three redfoots to be received at a sanctuary nearby and I thought about adopting them. They would not need as much of the yard, but still would require fencing, a water pool, and a heated hide.

To be honest, I am older and not in perfect health. My daughter said to me, "Mom, it's not practical for you to try and build things outside in this heat. Isn't there a tortoise that can happily live inside?"

So I started looking at Mediterranean species as they do not get too large. Naturally my first stop was Chris Leone's Hermanni Haven site. And I came upon a true indoor tortoise: testudo kleinmanni, commonly known as the Egyptian tortoise, Kleinmann's tortoise, Leith's tortoise.

After more research on this unique species (the smallest tortoise in the northern hemisphere), I wrote to Chris who said he is "comfortable and happy" about my knowledge. He had one 2 year old Egyptian -- it is meant to be! I did not want to start with a hatchling of this species.... and so, this little 2 year old female is mine and will come home to me as soon as I finish her enclosure. I've named her "Sunshine".

If you are still reading this very long post - thank you! Much about the t. kleinmanni and its care are unusual; so perhaps at some point, I may be able to share information you find interesting. Thank you so much!

Shirley
Sunshine's About To Be Mom

ShirleyTX

Canyon Lake TX USA
Thank you, Yvonne! I have learned so much from your posts, I always read when your name pops up.

I forgot the part of the story when I decided I wanted a baby Burmese Star from @Tom and then I chickened out because I was scared of adopting a hatchling. I can safely say that adopting this Egyptian was not a hasty decision LOL.

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
Shirley: What do you mean,
My apologizes about the above post, a case of fiddley fingers. Anyway, to continue: "if you have read this far"? Of course I've read such an inspiring post! I only wish that more novicies would do the planning and preparation that you have. So very many tortoises are obtained on impulse because " oh he's so cute", or "he just needs me". Pshaw . . . so many tortoises die needlessly for these and other similar reasons related to lack of prepardness. How my first tortoise, obtained when I was in just 2nd grade, lived for another 60 years, is surely a miracle, for I knew nothing. Welcome to these forums, Shirley. I hope that the relationship you form with your new charge is long and mutually beneficial.

Antoni

Hello everyone! I have been lurking on the forum for a while, studying in preparation for a tortoise of my own. I have been studying the articles and forums and Facebook groups for several years.

I live in south central Texas. I am retired and a grandmother. We have a large native grass/weeds yard, so at first I thought about a sulcata. What personalities they have! But we have four dogs and the logistics of separating our large yard was too much for me. Then I learned of three redfoots to be received at a sanctuary nearby and I thought about adopting them. They would not need as much of the yard, but still would require fencing, a water pool, and a heated hide.

To be honest, I am older and not in perfect health. My daughter said to me, "Mom, it's not practical for you to try and build things outside in this heat. Isn't there a tortoise that can happily live inside?"

So I started looking at Mediterranean species as they do not get too large. Naturally my first stop was Chris Leone's Hermanni Haven site. And I came upon a true indoor tortoise: testudo kleinmanni, commonly known as the Egyptian tortoise, Kleinmann's tortoise, Leith's tortoise.

After more research on this unique species (the smallest tortoise in the northern hemisphere), I wrote to Chris who said he is "comfortable and happy" about my knowledge. He had one 2 year old Egyptian -- it is meant to be! I did not want to start with a hatchling of this species.... and so, this little 2 year old female is mine and will come home to me as soon as I finish her enclosure. I've named her "Sunshine".

If you are still reading this very long post - thank you! Much about the t. kleinmanni and its care are unusual; so perhaps at some point, I may be able to share information you find interesting. Thank you so much!

Shirley
Sunshine's About To Be Mom
I have read that egyptians are the best indoor tortoise. Good luck and have fun! We’re here to help with any questions u may have :)

Smith4mj

New Hampshire
@ShirleyTX I'd love to hear how it's been with Sunshine!
I've been researching for quite some time. I didn't consider an Egyptian because of the very sparse mention of them in everything I've read about tortoises. I'm in the northeast, so my future little friend will be entirely inside 8 months of the year. Obviously this is a major factor in my choice.

Billna the 2

Smoaks sc
@ShirleyTX I'd love to hear how it's been with Sunshine!
I've been researching for quite some time. I didn't consider an Egyptian because of the very sparse mention of them in everything I've read about tortoises. I'm in the northeast, so my future little friend will be entirely inside 8 months of the year. Obviously this is a major factor in my choice.
Yay!!

ShirleyTX

Canyon Lake TX USA
@Smith4mj I love talking about Sunshine. I researched myself silly before I finally make a decision about Sunshine. I am in my late 60s and I live in south Texas. In consultation with my family, I had to finally "admit" that I couldn't build and maintain an outdoor enclosure for a tortoise in this brutal heat.

There are a video and a site that you have probably found already, but let me put them here to be sure. They are a must see for you.

This is a video from Kamp Kenan on a visit to Chris Leone at Garden State Tortoise. They talk about the Egyptians right at the beginning.

You've surely found this site already, Hermanni Haven. Possibly the best source of mediterraneious species in the US. (That's where Sunshine came from.)
https://www.hermannihaven.com/egyptian-tortoises

These are really indoor tortoises all year long. I plan to take her to the yard when it cools off and see if she enjoys it. But she will never live outside. That is exactly what I needed.

Setting up her enclosure was a lot of work. You can DIY a lot of it, if you are so inclined. Maintaining her enclosure has so far been a breeze. Her poop is tiny LOL. Everything is tiny. Sunshine is 2years 4months old. She weighs 123 grams - that's four ounces! She is friendly, responds to my voice. eats from my hand. She does not like being picked up but I'm hoping eventually she will tolerate it.

We have a little FB group with a few Egyptian owners. Come join us.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/klein/

Anything you want to know, let me/us know. :) I love my little one.

Smith4mj

New Hampshire
@Smith4mj I love talking about Sunshine. I researched myself silly before I finally make a decision about Sunshine. I am in my late 60s and I live in south Texas. In consultation with my family, I had to finally "admit" that I couldn't build and maintain an outdoor enclosure for a tortoise in this brutal heat.

There are a video and a site that you have probably found already, but let me put them here to be sure. They are a must see for you.

This is a video from Kamp Kenan on a visit to Chris Leone at Garden State Tortoise. They talk about the Egyptians right at the beginning.

You've surely found this site already, Hermanni Haven. Possibly the best source of mediterraneious species in the US. (That's where Sunshine came from.)

These are really indoor tortoises all year long. I plan to take her to the yard when it cools off and see if she enjoys it. But she will never live outside. That is exactly what I needed.

Setting up her enclosure was a lot of work. You can DIY a lot of it, if you are so inclined. Maintaining her enclosure has so far been a breeze. Her poop is tiny LOL. Everything is tiny. Sunshine is 2years 4months old. She weighs 123 grams - that's four ounces! She is friendly, responds to my voice. eats from my hand. She does not like being picked up but I'm hoping eventually she will tolerate it.

I looked and I think Egyptian are out of my budget, but I asked to join anyway. I'm sure to learn things that would apply to the tortoise I do get and I'd get to see some adorable pics!

Jjkminitort

Pittsburgh

Jjkminitort

Pittsburgh
Shirley — this is Jim from YouTube lol I posted a few questions on your YouTube video regarding sunshine ... well .. I just spoke to Chris Leone today after many emails ... he finally became available to talk to by phone ! What a great person and what grear passion Chris has for tortiouses ... so to the point lol I preordered our new family member today through Chris ! Our baby Egyptian will be ready this winter I’ll keep you posted and have plenty of photos upon arrival around December or January ! I’m pretty excited