Egyptian Sulcata Farm and International Export (Graphic Pics)

KhairulTort

Location (City and/or State)
Colombia
I've done some digging since recently getting my first Sulcata in Malaysia. (Check out my first post)
I'm honestly shocked by some of the pictures I've found. I discovered that the most likely source for the sulcatas and many leopards being sold in South East Asia are exported from Egypt or Sudan, where they are bred in the thousands. Here are some pictures of at least two sulcata and leopard 'farms' in Egypt. One of them is definitely in Cairo.

sky reptile.jpg
These farms are the suppliers of two self described 'major exporters' of reptiles and all kinds of exotic creatures. 'SkyReptile' & 'Exotic Land'.

Exotic land living.jpg

Exotic land sulcata 2.jpg
I need to know more. Can the members here identify the health and condition of these animals? Can you tell where they're originally from? What they're being fed? And what your thoughts are on this part of the hobby?
If there's anyone who has seen these places in person, please tell us all more. I'm conflicted. The pictures speak for themselves.

Packed sulcata babies.jpg
tf pardalis? .jpg
tortoise farm cairo.jpg
Exotic Land Babies.jpg

These people definitely aren't shy about the way they do things.
This is the payment process they describe on their website:

Screen Shot 2019-08-26 at 12.02.18 am.png

Export.jpg

Exotic land for export adult.jpg

What the hell is going on! What happens to them all? This is only two bloody farms.

Attachments

• Exotic Land Sulcata.jpg
    Exotic Land Sulcata.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 16
  • tf cairo.jpg
    tf cairo.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 17

KhairulTort

Colombia
Some more pictures.
These tortoises are packed in the same manner which the Malaysian and Indonesian Importers unpack tortoises
from in this video: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sulcata+tortoise+import+indonesia

Strongly suggests to me that they're of the same origin.
Does anyone understand what the CITES regulations say about the export of farmed tortoises? The fact that some of these animals are pyramided and others are very smooth suggests to me that there is a mixture of tortoises from captive and wild caught sources. The adults being exported are most certainly a mix of farmed and wild individuals. This is probably an easy way for them to export wild animals under CITES rules.
Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 11.53.24 pm.png Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 11.54.04 pm.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 11.44.37 pm.png Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 11.53.06 pm.png

KhairulTort

Colombia
Here’s another guy who’ll send you a whole bunch of wild caught radiated tortoises “worldwide.” 841DD337-F1FD-4C3B-8560-4D9DD5C4D537.png
CITES 1 species are zero export quota. Also Egyptian.

14AD3B47-ACB6-4D64-B398-F873DF36BBAD.png

KhairulTort

Colombia
I was in contact with this kind of farm.
They don't care of animal conditions, he spent more time in negociation than to explain me of they are maintaining them...
He proposed me some fennec foxes as present if I buy a lot of tortoises.

That’s very interesting to hear about. Did you even want a fennec Fox?! I understand if this is a private matter, if you’d like to remain more anonymous I’d love to have a chat with you privately over messages.
But, if you can help us. I’m sure many people here would be interested to learn more about your experiences with tortoises and their importation.
I have not seen many people discussing tortoises in France or the EU. Did you sell tortoises there? If so, whats it like?
Can you give us an idea of the kinds of prices these people ask for shipments?
How did you find out about these dealers?
What do you know about the source of these tortoises?
Did they tell you their genetics?

I’m sorry to bombard you with questions, but I’m so curious to hear more about how tortoises and many other exotic animals get out of Africa and into our living rooms.

All the best.

Bébert81

Toulouse, France
That’s very interesting to hear about. Did you even want a fennec Fox?! I understand if this is a private matter, if you’d like to remain more anonymous I’d love to have a chat with you privately over messages.
But, if you can help us. I’m sure many people here would be interested to learn more about your experiences with tortoises and their importation.
I have not seen many people discussing tortoises in France or the EU. Did you sell tortoises there? If so, whats it like?
Can you give us an idea of the kinds of prices these people ask for shipments?
How did you find out about these dealers?
What do you know about the source of these tortoises?
Did they tell you their genetics?

I’m sorry to bombard you with questions, but I’m so curious to hear more about how tortoises and many other exotic animals get out of Africa and into our living rooms.

All the best.
I'm not a seller, no no I don't want this kind of animal at home! :confused:
As I am a supply chain engineer I have some experiences in importation, that's why I tried this way to obtain some interesting species cheaper...

It was in 2017, I just asked for a group of T. kleinmanni and he proposed to me several species of Varanus, Uromastyx for around $30 - $50 each.
For 1.3 T. kleinmanni (4 head for him) he proposed me $2000 with CITES & all importation papers in EU from Jordan, the seller is Egyptian.
I said it's too expensive so he proposed 10 heads for $2000, I said too much animals so he proposed 4 heads for $1400.
I think it's farming or WC with doubtful bloolines and origins... not so ethics for me to speak in "heads".
Honestly I prefer CB animals so I said to him he's not serious and he proposed "Greek tortoises" (don't know the exact species) for $40 and a minimum of 200 animals with foxes as present...
At the end I stopped the discussion, it's my only experience with that. I can send you some pictures on private, you can see lot of animals in small spaces in boxes with dirty newpapers...

Last edited: