Eggs are hatching M.e.p.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Is the little one all formed and alive? there was a thread a while ago showing how to tie off the yolk sacs with dental floss to separate them.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Is the little one all formed and alive? there was a thread a while ago showing how to tie off the yolk sacs with dental floss to separate them.
By this morning the yolk was absorbed and the twin shed form the larger one. As far as I can tell it was more parasite than viable potential 'nother tortoise. It did not have all legs/feet developed and was all shrunk up when I looked in on everyone this morning.

Berkeley

Very cool! Congrats! I've toyed with the idea of getting an M.e.p. The genus is just cool.

I've got two clutches of M.e.e. incubating now. We'll see what happens!

--Berkeley

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Very cool! Congrats! I've toyed with the idea of getting an M.e.p. The genus is just cool.

I've got two clutches of M.e.e. incubating now. We'll see what happens!

--Berkeley

I just went back and read the TFO history of your M.e.e. exploits. In the ground (mound) incubation. Is there a chance you might ever put a temp prob in there and see what stats you get? It would be interesting to see that kind of data.

Berkeley

I just went back and read the TFO history of your M.e.e. exploits. In the ground (mound) incubation. Is there a chance you might ever put a temp prob in there and see what stats you get? It would be interesting to see that kind of data.

Man, I would love to do something like that Will. I've thought about it before, but never did much with the idea thinking it might be too technologically advanced for me. Do you know of a good place to get a temperature probe? In the past when I have excavated, I have just used my little infrared (?) handheld temp gun to take temps, but it would be nice to track them long term in the nest and see how they fluctuate or hold.

--Berkeley

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
My cheapest idea would be using the probe of a thermostat (with a digital readout). You would then need to use better thermometers/ temp guns to calibrate it first.