Eggs and More Eggs!

Kory

Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans, Louisiana
So I dug up the eggs from my Gulf Coast that was nesting last night! She laid 5. I decided to go out tonight and give a little extra food to help out big momma that laid those and go check my other pen that right now only has the lone female 3 toed that I just got last week and wouldn't you know she was in the process of laying as well! 5 pretty little 3-toed eggs just went into the incubator to join the 5 gulf coast eggs! The 3 toed has not been with a male since she has been here, but she has only been here a couple of weeks. I am unsure of her story before she came to me tho so I am just hoping that these are fertile! Wish me luck!

Turtle mom

5 Year Member
New Orleans
Hi Kory,
I live in New Orleans also and have four GC box turtles that are almost a year old. I'm not sure what is the best way to take care of them this winter.
They have been outside and are staying hidden or buried most of the time. Should I try to feed them when they come out or is it better not to? I'm also thinking of keeping them inside this winter, but I don't know what is better for them.
I would appreciate any advice you have since you are in N.O.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi "Mom":

I don't usually allow my turtles to hibernate until they're 3 years old. So during the winter I bring them in the house and set them up in a large plastic tub with lights, substrate, plants, etc. For the first year I dig them up and place them in front of the food every time I walk by their habitat. Then quickly step out of their sight. After a few weeks they become accustomed to this and start to realize they're safe. When this happens, I just put the food out and leave them alone. They come out and eat on their own.

Baby box turtles are so tiny that they dehydrate very quickly. They must be kept in a moist and humid environment, and you have to soak them in warm water daily.

In the spring I put them back outside.