Eggbert's new home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eggbert

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, AZ
I went to the local mega hardware store and purchased a piece of pine plywood 2'x4' and two pine planks 1' x 10" x 6. With the aid of my battery operated skill saw I was able to throw together a bookcase looking enclosure in about 2 hours. The enclosure was stained with a water-based sealant. The larger side consists of supersoil/playsand and quartzite slabs. On the sleeping/eating side I am using hay pellets. Eggbert doesn't know what to do with all the extra space, considering his old home was a rubbermade storage container thingymabob that was quickly being outgrown.

Any advice on lighting would be much appreciated.

Now that it is cooling down a bit in Phoenix, AZ I am going to put out the plastic pool so Eggbert is able to get some real sunshine.

Thanks!

Attachments

• newdiggs.jpg
    newdiggs.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 236

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
For lighting indoors I suggest the Power Sun 100W Mercury Vapor bulb. They are a bit pricey, the cheapest will probably be somewhere around $37 but could run as much as $49 depending on where you get it. They are the best thing going short of the actual sun shine. They provide all the heat and UV that your tortoise will need. You will just need to adjust your mounting so that it is the right distance from the basking spot to provide proper temps. Also this type of bulb should be straight up and down not at an angle. I've been using these for a few years with great results.

mtdavis817254

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
waco tx
CGKeith said:
For lighting indoors I suggest the Power Sun 100W Mercury Vapor bulb. They are a bit pricey, the cheapest will probably be somewhere around $37 but could run as much as $49 depending on where you get it. They are the best thing going short of the actual sun shine. They provide all the heat and UV that your tortoise will need. You will just need to adjust your mounting so that it is the right distance from the basking spot to provide proper temps. Also this type of bulb should be straight up and down not at an angle. I've been using these for a few years with great results.
wher can i find the POWER SUN 100W MERCURY VAPOR BULB AT... I went to lowes to get a UVB bulb, and when i asked the guy didnt know what i was talking about.so i got a uvb bulb at petsmart..

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
You will find them at pet stores that carry reptiles. There are a few in the Phoenix area. I would say go through the phone book and call them first to save your gas money and time from driving all over. Or go online and order them. Here are a couple of links to sites that I've purchased from in the past. Shipping is high, but if you consider gas money and sales tax on top of a local purchase it will probably be about the same.

http://lllreptile.com/
http://www.reptiledepot.com/

evin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
manteca, Ca
you should move one of those log hides to the cool side of the tank, it looks great

Eggbert

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
CGKeith--Thank you for the advice on the Power Sun bulb. I found one at a feed store just up the street from my home.

mtdavis--I have learned to never trust the salespeople at the local mega-hardware stores for advice. In depth research has always proven more valuable. :)

evin--The smaller tortoise hide was placed in the photo to show the difference in size compared to the larger one. Eggbert used to be able to enter the smaller hide and do a u-turn but has outgrown it and scraped both sides as he/she entered.

I have only been Eggbert's caregiver for 8 months now and it's difficult for me to believe he/she is growing up. Eggbert will be 2 years old on September 10th.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I like the enclosure, I would remove the pellets as they can eat them and it could cause a problem. I would also put a hide at each end of the enclosure so he can hide at either end depending on preference. If you plan on taking him out frequently during the week you really don't need the uvb light, right now I take mine out around 6pm when it is not as hot. I like your setup very nice job and your tort is very cute.

Status
Not open for further replies.