Egg tooth still after 6 months?

Etherealheart

Location (City and/or State)
Paignton
Me and my brother bought a 6 month old 3 inch leopard tortoise a few days ago from a breeder.
We are committed to looking after him, we have plans for his enclosure for years to come, and we have researched his needs and are following guidance from this forum, but I still find myself worrying. As we are no experts and are relatively new to normal tortoise behaviours and such.
I'm probably over thinking it but I just want to be safe and check, is it ok for him to still have an egg tooth at this age or is it something else? Because a lot of people are saying they're usually gone by about 8 weeks or something?
Also, does he look ok and healthy otherwise?
I just want the best for little Blastoise

Attachments

• PXL_20210526_123335332.jpg
    PXL_20210526_123335332.jpg
    768.6 KB · Views: 94
  • PXL_20210526_123249252.jpg
    PXL_20210526_123249252.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 91

harrythetortoise

Virginia
Me and my brother bought a 6 month old 3 inch leopard tortoise a few days ago from a breeder.
We are committed to looking after him, we have plans for his enclosure for years to come, and we have researched his needs and are following guidance from this forum, but I still find myself worrying. As we are no experts and are relatively new to normal tortoise behaviours and such.
I'm probably over thinking it but I just want to be safe and check, is it ok for him to still have an egg tooth at this age or is it something else? Because a lot of people are saying they're usually gone by about 8 weeks or something?
I don't keep a leopard tortoise myself, but from what I have seen from this forum, your baby looks younger than 6 months..
Let's see what the experts would say...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If that tortoise is 6 months old, something is terribly wrong. It hasn't grown. It also looks like it has been kept in the typical wrong dry fashion. What does it weigh in grams?

People have been keeping this species all wrong since the 1960's. We've only recently learned the correct ways, and most breeders around the world still don't have a clue.

Pet shops, breeders, vet, and "reptile experts", all parrot the same wrong info that has been passed down from generation to generation. Here is the correct care info for you:

Etherealheart

Paignton
If that tortoise is 6 months old, something is terribly wrong. It hasn't grown. It also looks like it has been kept in the typical wrong dry fashion. What does it weigh in grams?

People have been keeping this species all wrong since the 1960's. We've only recently learned the correct ways, and most breeders around the world still don't have a clue.

Pet shops, breeders, vet, and "reptile experts", all parrot the same wrong info that has been passed down from generation to generation. Here is the correct care info for you:
Thank you, I'm not sure in what conditions he was kept but I have read your article, (it's something more people really ought to see, and im so thankful you are here educating people on how to properly care for their babies) and am building his setup accordingly, and the humidity in the enclosure is 84% and the temperature is 80°f if I can make the conditions optimal, will he get better? He is currently 28 grams

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Please follow the links Tom shared with you asap. You bought a leopard that was started wrong and the seller either lied to you or its showing the results of bad care before you got him.
Make needed changes asap and you can get this little one started on a healthy life.

Etherealheart

Paignton
Please follow the links Tom shared with you asap. You bought a leopard that was started wrong and the seller either lied to you or its showing the results of bad care before you got him.
Make needed changes asap and you can get this little one started on a healthy life

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
if I can make the conditions optimal, will he get better? He is currently 28 grams
That is near hatching weight. If the tortoise is only a few weeks old, that might be okay. If it is truly 8 months old (I think not....), then you have a real problem. When they are started too dry (almost all of them are around the world), no one can predict how much kidney damage was done or what the survival rate will be. All you can do is try your best and hope. I would also contact the breeder and explain what you've learned. You will probably be dismissed, possibly called names for reading info on the internet, and the breeder may no care. But if enough people keep telling them the same things, and also show the progress of how well the babies grow and thrive in the optimal conditions, at least some of them will eventually learn. When that happens, those breeders can convince the other breeders, and in time, things should get better for the baby tortoises of the world.

Do you also have a basking area that is near 36-37C? You need one.

Your questions are welcome. We are all here to talk torts!

Etherealheart

Paignton
That is near hatching weight. If the tortoise is only a few weeks old, that might be okay. If it is truly 8 months old (I think not....), then you have a real problem. When they are started too dry (almost all of them are around the world), no one can predict how much kidney damage was done or what the survival rate will be. All you can do is try your best and hope. I would also contact the breeder and explain what you've learned. You will probably be dismissed, possibly called names for reading info on the internet, and the breeder may no care. But if enough people keep telling them the same things, and also show the progress of how well the babies grow and thrive in the optimal conditions, at least some of them will eventually learn. When that happens, those breeders can convince the other breeders, and in time, things should get better for the baby tortoises of the world.

Oh gosh, I really hope there hasn't been much damage, he has a basking lamp that's at 37°c.
I will try to contact them, but they said when we picked him up that they were actually giving up breeding them. I thought it was a bit off they didn't ask to see our setup and barely gave any advice on look after him. I will be sure to spread the word of this forum if I hear of anyone I know planning to get a tortoise.
Thank you so much, I will try everything I can to make his conditions ideal, and hope for the best, its such a shame that most of the information out there is so misleading, we really should be able to trust the people who sell us our pets. And I'm just really hoping I can fix this, I don't want to lose him :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh gosh, I really hope there hasn't been much damage, he has a basking lamp that's at 37°c.
I will try to contact them, but they said when we picked him up that they were actually giving up breeding them. I thought it was a bit off they didn't ask to see our setup and barely gave any advice on look after him. I will be sure to spread the word of this forum if I hear of anyone I know planning to get a tortoise.
Thank you so much, I will try everything I can to make his conditions ideal, and hope for the best, its such a shame that most of the information out there is so misleading, we really should be able to trust the people who sell us our pets. And I'm just really hoping I can fix this, I don't want to lose him :(
This is not to upset or alarm you, though it might. I'm posting this so you can have a better explanation of what is going on and what signs to look for. I sincerely hope that your baby is one of the survivors and has no problems.

Etherealheart

Paignton

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Is his plastron ok? The bottom shell

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm glad you are the one that did get him and so very willing to put in the work to take care of him the best possible.
We all will be rooting for the two of you and will help any way possible.
Good luck and keep us posted and ask any question you need answered.

Etherealheart

Paignton
It looks okay. But does it feel hard or squishy? A very slight movement in it is okay when lightly pressed on but not a lot of movement.

That sounds perfect. A good sign.
Oh phew, that's at least a bit of a relief, will keep you all updated, thank you everyone, for everything!

Etherealheart

Paignton
Hey guys, its been a couple days, hes eating more, and he finally pooped in his bath, and hes a bit more active, I hope this is a good sign. We have started to bath him everyday and the humidity is consistently above 90% in his enclosure. Does he look any better? I don't know, maybe its too early on to be looking better. And if he makes it, will the roughness of the shell ever go away?

Attachments

• PXL_20210528_095832275.jpg
    PXL_20210528_095832275.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
  • PXL_20210528_095742211.jpg
    PXL_20210528_095742211.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 41