edible cactus's? which succulents can my sulcata eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
store bought types from lowe's like hen's and chicks, aloe, barrel cactus, jade plants. i would like to include them in the enclosure. if not for food, then definitely for shade and sight obstacles :D

and also, my mother has many plants around the house and has always told me that spider plants were poisonous (at least to my cats), is that true? and are hastas good too? i have a lott of those in my yard.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hostas are good.

Be careful with store bought potted plants. They often come with systemic pesticides that can last a year.

In addition to opuntia I feed organ pipe cactus, jade plant, aloe, red apple (the succulent), ice plant, and some other type of ice plant that I can't remember the name of.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
JoesMum said:
Spider plant is definitely NOT poisonous to torts. They love it:)

Look up all the others on The Tortoise Table Plant Database Most succulents are fine, but this site will tell you for sure. :)
thank you! that website is perfect! my mom has the whole yard gardened so it's nice to know what plants i can pick leaves/flowers right off of :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
gerberwoman said:
love the tortoise table site and looked at every single plant photo....is there an american equivalent to this great UK site?

Not that I know of unfortunately. The people who run it are more than prepared to add plants suggested by those overseas or in the UK or add a non-UK name for a plant that's already there.

Brussels Sprouts are on there because I enquired :)

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
JoesMum said:
Brussels Sprouts are on there because I enquired :)

Can we do Brussels sprouts? On my phone so didn't check the table yet, excited to know since I have some on hand. Also what about beet greens? If you know.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Brussels Sprouts are feed "in moderation"... so in the rota of other greens, but don't feed all the time.

Beet Greens are what we call Chard in the UK, I think.. if so they are feed in moderation too.

Status
Not open for further replies.