Echos newest eggs are chalking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Here are some new pics of Echos’ newest clutch. 6 days after laying. Woo Hoo, Fertile!
Now they are starting to look like white eggs instead of brown chicken eggs. "D

You can see the eggs starting to chalk in this picture the ends are translucent
DSCF3873.jpg

Here is an egg close up that is beginning to chalk with the ends still translucent
DSCF3875.jpg

This is Egg #1 you can see the yellow yolk in the bottom
DSCF3879.jpg

You can see the yolk as well as where the shell is turning white (chalking)
DSCF3883.jpg

This is Egg #2 here you can easily see the yolk
DSCF3878.jpg

Egg #2 You can see the yolk but you can clearly see the narrow white chalking of the egg in the middle thats the darkend area.
DSCF3877.jpg

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
omg that is SO cool!

so chalking means it is fertile? when they are completely "chalked" will you sill be able to see the tort inside growing?

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Great pictures Robyn! I didn't think about them not having chalked yet as being why they looked like brown eggs! No tort egg experience here. LOL Thanks for taking those great pics!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Thanks janiedough and Dee, The last clutch I couldn't see the distinct changes like I can with these. Chalking means fertile eggs. When you candle them you can see veins later then the area of the yolk gets darker and darker till all you see is a dark spot with perhaps a light air bubble looking thing. You never get to see the tort until it actually hatches. Really they are color changes when they are candled. Janeidough here are pics of Echos first clutch which were completely chalked and you can see the veins http://tortoiseforum.org/new-pics-of-echos-clutch-t-1106.html

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Great news Robyn :D Excellent pictures of what a fertile egg looks like in the early stages.

Danny

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
UPDATE

So these eggs were suppose to hatch on July 8th. But the temps in my house got too warm and they stopped developing. Now they are starting to turn translucent again. No veins no progress. They have not exploded nor do they smell as yet but they are not going anywhere at this time. So I guess it just wasn't meant to be, at least, this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.