EBT shedding and/or wound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeblercop

5 Year Member
Hi, I'm hoping someone here can help me. I adopted this EBT from someone who had him in a dryer midwest climate and was having a hard time keeping the humidity up in his enclosure. The keeper was trying very hard to provide the care he needed and deserved and had adopted him out of an unknown, possible bad situation. He felt like his EBTs were not doing well and that he could not keep it humid enough...we met on through this forum as I was looking for EBTs which are native to my state and legal to own. He decided to let me adopt them for barely more than the overnight shipping cost as long as I would take them to the vet. They arrived and I did just that. The vet did not find anything or think there were any problems; he did not have ear infection; stool sample did not show any parasites.

I have done tons of research in preparation, but def. still have a ton to learn. We built a huge outdoor enclosure and I try really hard to provide good nutrition. The others I got in the group are doing well and have been gaining weight substantially, are active and one, in fact, just laid at least 4 eggs the night before last. The one male pictured here is the one I'm concerned about. He has always kind of crawled and has a harder time getting out of the water pan than the others and does not explore entire pen daily...he has a routine and a couple of areas where he spends most of his days sitting around. He never tried to breed or bother the others. He has ate well and gained weight; became a very good eater...probably even better than the others. His skin has always looked different...like a white dusting on his head area when he's not wet...I assumed this was from the lack of humidity and would improve over time. 4 days ago, he stopped wanting to eat and started soaking all day which is not like him. I would usually put him in to soak once or twice a week and he would def. love it and stay quite awhile, but was not one to just go to the water pan by himself. When I say he began soaking ALL day, i meant it. I checked him several times and changed water at least once a day...I would literally have to remove him near dark b/c I knew the water temp would drop, etc. By mid-morning, he would be right back in there. I just figured he probably knows best what he needs, so I didn't remove water pan to stop him. He wasn't swollen, no bubbles from the nose, or anything else alarming. I then started noticing skin hanging and he would try to scratch it off with his front legs. So, by the end of second day, I took my finger and rubbed gently around his head/neck area and front legs to help. He soaked again all day on the 3rd day and then stopped. His skin is now really bright and clear of the whitish film that he's always had, but I've been checking him for the past 2 days anyways. Today, I noticed when I pulled his neck skin back what you see in the picture. Can anyone enlighten me as to what this is? Is it something I can treat w/antibiotic ointment or something else? Is it a huge problem that he needs to see the vet for? Also, I was wondering if the skin shed thing was normal or if someone has experienced it before with an adoptee that was not kept in natural sunlight, etc. Thanks so much in advance for your time and experience.

Attachments

• 100_3422.JPG
    100_3422.JPG
    838.2 KB · Views: 75

Keeblercop

5 Year Member
I also posted in the tortoise health section...was not sure which would be best.

Attachments

• 100_3422.JPG
    100_3422.JPG
    838.2 KB · Views: 48

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I would think a little ointment would be good for a small spot and keep the flies away from the opening. Maybe keep him inside for a day or two until it scabs over.

Other more experienced keepers may offer more detailed advice.

Good luck.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Keeblercop said:
I also posted in the American Box Turtle section...was not sure which would be best.

This is quoted form our "Guidelines" section:

"Topics that are cross-posted will be deleted. "

Note to everyone:

It is not necessary to post the same question in different sections on the Forum. Put your question where it belongs, and it will be answered.

What a nice picture. You must have a pretty good camera.

That looks like the spot where ear abscesses occur. Maybe it's a healing abscess. It there a lump behind the raw spot?

I think Will Tortoise's advice is what you should do. Just be sure flies don't lay their eggs on the spot.

Keeblercop

5 Year Member
Thank you so much; I'll try some ointment.

WillTortoise said:
I would think a little ointment would be good for a small spot and keep the flies away from the opening. Maybe keep him inside for a day or two until it scabs over.

Other more experienced keepers may offer more detailed advice.

Good luck.

Sorry about that.

Thank you for the advice. I'm not sure about the lump; I thought maybe there was a small one, but didn't want to stress him too much. Will try to take a better look when I put the ointment on.

In regards to the pic, thank you...lol..I got lucky...couldn't even see the screen in the sunlight.

Yvonne G said:
Keeblercop said:
I also posted in the American Box Turtle section...was not sure which would be best.

This is quoted form our "Guidelines" section:

"Topics that are cross-posted will be deleted. "

Note to everyone:

It is not necessary to post the same question in different sections on the Forum. Put your question where it belongs, and it will be answered.

What a nice picture. You must have a pretty good camera.

That looks like the spot where ear abscesses occur. Maybe it's a healing abscess. It there a lump behind the raw spot?

I think Will Tortoise's advice is what you should do. Just be sure flies don't lay their eggs on the spot.

Keeblercop

5 Year Member
Yvonne, could you please tell me which section I should've posted it in as I also have another turtle health problem to post about -- American Box Turtles or Tortoise Health??? Thank you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sorry...didn't mean to make you feel guilty. Don't ever worry about it. If a moderator sees something in the wrong place, we will put it where it belongs. You posted this one in box turtles plus in health. The duplicate was removed per our guidelines, and the one in health was left in place.

So if you have another health problem, feel free to post it here, in health.

I just took the opportunity of your duplicate threads to remind everyone that posting two or more threads exactly the same isn't necessary.

Keeblercop

5 Year Member
Great; thank you. No offense taken...I was just confused if turtle (EBT) health related questions should go in the "tortoise" health section or the American Box Turtle section. Thanks again for your help.

Yvonne G said:
Sorry...didn't mean to make you feel guilty. Don't ever worry about it. If a moderator sees something in the wrong place, we will put it where it belongs. You posted this one in box turtles plus in health. The duplicate was removed per our guidelines, and the one in health was left in place.

So if you have another health problem, feel free to post it here, in health.

I just took the opportunity of your duplicate threads to remind everyone that posting two or more threads exactly the same isn't necessary.

Keeblercop

5 Year Member
UPDATE: After applying the antiobiotic ointment, the wound is looking much better. Yesterday, on second application, there was a little tiny whitish/light yellow plug or possible hardened, old puss that I removed. Today, on third application, it's looking much, much better.

On the down side, his eye on that side is now really swollen. Could this be upper respiratory problem? Something else? His nose is clear and I do not hear wheezing. His appetite is still down as well. I also posted another issue w/a female turtle in the same enclosure. Her lids/inner lids are staying closed in her eyes just like his did in the beginning.

thea lester

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
Heya! That is a serious ear infection; but I am not a vet... There are ways to treat it at home but ONLY after receiving detailed instructions from a vet. It is a minor surgery to flush out the abscess.
That may also be a fly larval infex.
If you can, take them to a vet.
the ointment is only serving to seal in the pus which is going to drive the infection deeper.
PM or email me if you want, and keep on posting your questions and observations!
Best wishes,
Thea

Keeblercop

5 Year Member
UPDATE: I stopped the ointment after 2nd treatment as it was looking much better and I figured it needed to breathe. Unfortunately, the swollen eye has gotten worse and he was soaking almost all of yesterday. I removed him b/c the temperatures were dropping and thought he was blowing bubbles but wasn't sure if it was just from having his head under water. A little later, I noticed he had crawled back in. This was late evening, I removed him again and the water pan...let him dry and he was def. blowing bubbles. As it was chilly last night due to the constant rain, I moved him into a rubbermaid in the garage to sleep. I called the vet this a.m. and she is out until Monday. I've read many threads and other sites as this has been progressing and believe he does have RI. He was an adoptee and didn't seem to be doing well with the person who previously had rescued him, but there is no real way to know what his diet and situation was before. He may have a lot of things going on. To be honest, I'm heart sick and worried. I had hoped to give them a better quality of life. We built them this great outdoor enclosure where they could live as free as possibly, have sunlight daily and I have provided good nutrition to the best of my ability. I fear he will not make it to the vet appt. Monday and feel totally helpless. :(

Thank you so much; I appreciate your time and advice. I posted an update.

thea lester said:
Heya! That is a serious ear infection; but I am not a vet... There are ways to treat it at home but ONLY after receiving detailed instructions from a vet. It is a minor surgery to flush out the abscess.
That may also be a fly larval infex.
If you can, take them to a vet.
the ointment is only serving to seal in the pus which is going to drive the infection deeper.
PM or email me if you want, and keep on posting your questions and observations!
Best wishes,
Thea

thea lester

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
Aw geez, I totally know your frustration and worry. They are tough little creatures and in their timeline monday is only a split second from today. I wish you and yours all the best,
Thea

Keeblercop

5 Year Member
Thank you very much; I really appreciate it.

thea lester said:
Aw geez, I totally know your frustration and worry. They are tough little creatures and in their timeline monday is only a split second from today. I wish you and yours all the best,
Thea

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Keeblercop - I received your PM but your PM and email is disabled so I can't respond to you. The poor guy has a nasty ear abscess. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.