ebt laying eggs

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
I think it's whatever your comfortable with doing. I like bringing the eggs inside and incubating them myself but I've also found babies that hatched in my enclosure.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
That's exciting,....I'm patiently waiting for my ornates to drop some eggs.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Well she helped you out, by using the fence post to mark the spot for you! Too cool and good luck on either which way you choose to incubate them.

ratbones7

5 Year Member
thanks. i think im just going to let mother nature do her thing. ive had better luck with ebt just leavin them on their own. i did put a chicken wire dome over spot for now. will need to build a better fence system around it in next couple of weeks with smaller openings to keep babies in.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
That's awesome, congratulations!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's great! I can't leave my eggs in the ground because they draw red ants to them. 100% hatch? The Easterns are my fav of all the box turtles.

ratbones7

5 Year Member
That's great! I can't leave my eggs in the ground because they draw red ants to them. 100% hatch? The Easterns are my fav of all the box turtles.
thanks. i caught her in middle of laying them when i started this thread. i only saw 4 drop.. but the hatch went 6 for 7. one egg was undeveloped. dont mind my daughters hyperventilation..haha she was excited but just messing around

ratbones7

5 Year Member
i'm letting these guys spend the winter outdoors in that separate enclosed pen. giving a couple away. hoping for the best. i've had a couple hatchlings inside for winter and i think they are tough to keep awake, eating, etc. just going to let nature do her thing this time. these guys have eaten some small worms in the last week. not sure how long they will stay eating. temps have dropped a bit and look it will stay that way for a bit.

my adults already stopped eating it seems. in NJ.

ratbones7

5 Year Member
anyone have any real bad experiences letting hatchlings hibernate first year? bad idea?

TLWR

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Baldwin Co, Alabama
Mine hibernated their first year outside and all were fine. I live in a warmer winter climate area though

ratbones7

5 Year Member
well i was guilted into bringing them inside for the winter. one got cut under eye pretty bad....not sure how. anyway didn't want him to hibernate like that so they are all in. i did gift one away....and may give away another 2. but so begins the soaks, heat and uv lamps, etc. ugh. they are all eating worms like crazy. the competition really gets them going.

HI Tortoise Rescue

5 Year Member
Oahu, Hawaii
Be careful that you give them LOTS of calcium! My son lost all but two of them when they started eating each other's shells! Now, he has them all separated so they can't do that. The babies should also not be fed only animal protein. Add strawberries, dark greens, & Mazuri to help get them through the winter. We got all 7 of ours through a Wyoming winter back when we lived there, & temps averaged in the minus teens.

Ken