Eating weeds in yard...

Tortnewb

Location (City and/or State)
Palm Beach
My Russian tortoise will sometimes start eating weeds we have in our yard (Florida) is this safe?

Attachments

• 93AE6807-416F-40F4-AD69-117958B4038C.jpeg
    93AE6807-416F-40F4-AD69-117958B4038C.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 41

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi,
Some weeds you find in your yard will be fine for your tort as long as they haven't been sprayed with weedkiller - possibly in the last 2 years.
However, some weeds are toxic to your torts so you need to ID what you have and remove any that aren't safe.

www.thetortoisetable.org.uk may help you but it's based on UK plants and while we have some in common the US and UK also have different plants.
Someone posted some websites today for US members to ID weeds - I'll see if I can find it.
maybe google common weeds found in Florida to see if that throws up any results and then use the tortoise table to see if they are included and safe or not .

Also if you post some close up pics of flowers and leaves then members may already know them and can he,p you.

My rule is 'if in doubt, don't feed'

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Have a read through this thread some of the posts mention some apps that may help the ID your weeds plants you have in your yard

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My Russian tortoise will sometimes start eating weeds we have in our yard (Florida) is this safe?
Its safe if you know what weeds are there and have identified each one as safe.

Its not safe to put your tortoise out there and let him have access to unknown weeds. They do NOT know better, contrary to popular belief and many die from eating poisonous plants every year.

Tortnewb

Palm Beach
I'm just south of you.
Can you post photos of the weeds your tort is eating?
Hello I posted a pic with the question. If you click on it I think it turns more clear. For some reason all the pics are blurry for me till I open them by clicking on it.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Even when enlarged it's still not clear. We need a close up of the leaves and any flowers. Maybe pick some and photograph it on a plain background.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello I posted a pic with the question. If you click on it I think it turns more clear. For some reason all the pics are blurry for me till I open them by clicking on it.
One good resource for weed ID is a local plant nursery. Most of them have a resident plant nerd that can ID anything. Bring in samples with roots, stems, leaves, and flowers, if any. Bring in a whole plant of the weed you want to ID.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That center plant with the fuzzy leaves and small flowers I have seen in my yard.
In fact. My dog has now twice been to the emergency veterinarian because she was stung by honey bees that like them.
It's unfortunately not a plant that my Redfoot ever bother with. They only eat Purslane, Thistle and Dandelion (from seeds I scattered in the yard about 2 years ago.
They also eat some Saint Augustine grass on occasion, cactus and any low hanging hibiscus leaves.