Eating Insulation???!?

Nickolas

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
So,

I have a 6 x 8 greenhouse for my young sulcata tortoise. It has CHE bulbs, stays humid, and at a steady temperature because of the three different thermostats combined with the CHE bulbs. There is also a UVB strip light.

However, as you know, the edges of greenhouses aren't very warm when it is a low temperature outside of the greenhouse. And since it gets cold in Pennsylvania, my basement temperature drops in the winter. And as you also know, tortoises like to sleep often in corners.

To solve the issue of the edges staying warm, I bought sheets of 2 inch thick blue board insulation, cut it to size, and fit it to the sides of the greenhouse.

The only problem is that the tortoise ( Jethro Gibbs ) seems to have been nibbling on some of the insulation.

I soak him daily in the evening, but the past two days I have noticed little pieces of insulation mixed in with the feces.

I don't know if it is safe for it to ingest that or not?!?

It is worrying me.

Does anyone have any knowledge on this topic?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Try and get a wood frame to make a skirting around the perimeter to stop any more ingestion. I guess you need to give it lots of veg and hopefully it will pass through. You need to avoid any more intake and look for any pieces lying around.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I imagine the insulation would cause one helluva impaction at the very least. Any way you can put some boards around it to prevent it?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So,

I have a 6 x 8 greenhouse for my young sulcata tortoise. It has CHE bulbs, stays humid, and at a steady temperature because of the three different thermostats combined with the CHE bulbs. There is also a UVB strip light.

However, as you know, the edges of greenhouses aren't very warm when it is a low temperature outside of the greenhouse. And since it gets cold in Pennsylvania, my basement temperature drops in the winter. And as you also know, tortoises like to sleep often in corners.

To solve the issue of the edges staying warm, I bought sheets of 2 inch thick blue board insulation, cut it to size, and fit it to the sides of the greenhouse.

The only problem is that the tortoise ( Jethro Gibbs ) seems to have been nibbling on some of the insulation.

I soak him daily in the evening, but the past two days I have noticed little pieces of insulation mixed in with the feces.

I don't know if it is safe for it to ingest that or not?!?

It is worrying me.

Does anyone have any knowledge on this topic?
You can't let them have access to things like that. Line the insulation with thin plywood to block the tortoise's access.

Nickolas

Pennsylvania
Alright, I will put a wooden frame around it.

It was the hard insulation, so I figured they would not mess with it, but I was wrong.

It ate only a small bit, but I was still worried, so I'll put the wooden frame up, and it should be okay...