Eating dandelion

Tortoise mummy93

Location (City and/or State)
Peterborough
Help need some information on a 6 year old German tortoise the only thing she will eat is dandelion she also keeps rubbing her back end on the floor when do I need too worry about eggs and is this normal
Tortoise mummy93

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
What are
1.Temps and what type of heaters
2.Humidity
3. Substrate
4. Size of enclosure
5. Last time you have soaked her
6. Is dandelion the only thing and what else have you offered
These will help us to help you

Tortoise mummy93

Peterborough
I have offered her a little strawberry tomato a little rose petals which she normally loves and I even tryed a little cucumber her temp is 20 30 about 4 days ago I soaked her will send pics I have turned her for tonight but will show you size

Attachments

• 15817192873596841754370404582769.jpg
    15817192873596841754370404582769.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 42

Tortoise mummy93

Peterborough
Also substrate is bark chippings as found that tortoise life (soil kind of stuff) was getting smelly after a few days and if I am honest I don't know the humidity

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
You say 20-30 Celsius. For the day it should be 30 with a basking spot. 20 is fine for overnight. The photo was a little grainy-I opened on my phone not my laptop so I may be off- but it looks a little small. For an adult a minimum of 4’x4’ (1.3 x1.3 meters). Also what kind of bark chips? Fir is the best and cypress is fine - pine and cedar are not good. BTW have you been to Herman’s thread yet it has a pinned care sheet

Tortoise mummy93

Peterborough
I asked a professional vet about the size of her tank and they said it was fine but unfortunately I can't ask them questions now as they are in heaven I not sure what type of chipping they are yes 20 at night 30 in day is what temps are the tank is 5 for long possiblity its way I took photo

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
A bigger size is definately needed, but can wait a short time (For example imagine your tank and stand as the total outer edge that is the size needed.. For expanding her palete try a mash up- use a blender/processor to mix dandelions with other weeds and even pelleted food (pre-soaked) this will spread the dandelion throughout but will increase the diets variety. Have you tried Mazuri?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
What is mazuri ? And I will look into getting her a new tank did look into getting a tortoise table will that be big enough
Keep an eye out for secondhand items that could be repurposed like a large bookcase could be the frame and you just add plywood for a back then find a dining room table or such to set it on. . Line it with pondliner or shower curtains to contain the mositure in the substrate. Mazuri is a commercial Tortoise food that is pellitized. In the UK it is sold as Natruzi-a licensing issue if I remeber right. Hope I am helping

Tortoise mummy93

Peterborough
Ok lovely will try all these do you recommend me getting something so I know what humidity it is also should I give her water everyday and yes your definitely making sense
Thank you

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Ok lovely will try all these do you recommend me getting something so I know what humidity it is also should I give her water everyday and yes your definitely making sense
Thank you
Yes they make lots of stand alone Temp/Humidity gauges and quite a few bluetooth that you can download an app to your smartphone. Don't recommend any of the newer dial gauge style.

Tortoise mummy93

Peterborough
Ok thank you so much will see if I can get hold of one tomorrow when I am out and about she has just come out know and is eating strawberry thank for you help

jso

55*N, UK
I'm with Blackdog on the idea of a tortoise table, as big as you can accommodate. Glass tanks aren't very good for mediterranean tortoises that don't need high humidity and which would appreciate a temperature gradient. Usual practice is to have heat lamp nearer one end, giving the tortoise options on self-regulating. Glass tanks can build up the heat overall.
Also, not good for a tortoise to be able to see beyond its enclosure. They'll always want to get through the glass.