EATEN ALIVE on the Discovery channel

Turtlepete

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I just wanted to publicly rant on something so incredibly stupid that it deeply saddens me and furthers my belief that previously pretty dang cool shows like Animal Planet and Discovery Channel are now nothing more then frauds perpetrating idiotic falsities about animals, likely to further they're pocket (PETA or government pay-off to further legislation against exotic ownership? Likely). In the most recent offering of stupidity, we have EATEN ALIVE, the show about some acclaimed naturalist (crack-head?) who is to be swallowed by an anaconda.
Oh, but don't worry guys. He's wearing a "custom, specialized suit", that will apparently allow him to withstand the pressure of an animal that can crush a car. Because yes, indeed, an anaconda large enough to swallow an adult male Homo sapiens would probably crush a compact car.
But he's wearing a tether! So they'll pull him out, right? Wrong. The muscles snakes use to contract and thus swallow they're prey are outrageously strong….The musculature of a snake large enough to swallow an adult male (also keeping in mind, these are anacondas, the most heavy-bodied snakes) would not give up it's meal to…somebody pulling on a tether. Good luck with that.
But, lets exercise the benefit of the doubt. Let's say they actually FIND an anaconda large enough to swallow an adult male human in the Amazon (assuming such an animal exist. I can assure you all of the snakes shown in the preview are not near large enough). And lets just say somehow they entice the snake to try to eat him (I promise you, snakes that have been ripped from they're habitat and transported to a camp are going to be incredibly interested in feeding on a plastic-covered human). I'm no anatomist, but my best guess is that his rib cage will be crushed like Silly Putty and pierce his internal organs. Nice suit, buddy.
Will be interested to see how good they're CGI is.

Perhaps one of the most disgusting and absurd facts is how the media seems to make him out as some sort of hero. Paul Rosolie (the half-wit that is doing it) himself claims he is "advocating for conservation" by doing the stunt.
Because, of course, getting eaten alive by an anaconda is absolutely beneficial for conservation. It has nothing to do with being an excellent tool to breed mass public hysteria and fuel everyones' already-present (irrational) fears of being eaten alive by a snake. (The media in Florida recently claimed that a hybrid between a Burmese python and a venomous snake was loose in the everglades. Very real, very scary.)
I'll be sure to get myself eaten by a galapagos tortoise. Or maybe a leatherback. All in the name of conservation. Turtles can't eat humans alive you say? Tell that to the Discovery channel.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I actually worked on this show. I'm not allowed to comment on it. Non-disclosure agreements and all...

I can't (and don't want to) argue with any with any of your assessments. Let me just say that what "they" turned this into is not what "we" signed up for and agreed to do. Sad really. That's the entertainment business for 'ya. This show won't be remembered as my best work.

Turtlepete

South Florida
I actually worked on this show. I'm not allowed to comment on it. Non-disclosure agreements and all...

I can't (and don't want to) argue with any with any of your assessments. Let me just say that what "they" turned this into is not what "we" signed up for and agreed to do. Sad really. That's the entertainment business for 'ya. This show won't be remembered as my best work.

If you can without violating you're non-disclosure agreement, may I ask exactly what they played it off to the professionals like you that were paid to work on this show? How did they convince you? In what manner could this possibly support conservation? I just don't get it. The only possible outcome is to further the show's ratings and, as I mentioned, further legislation against exotic ownership. People really needed another irrational reason to fear being eaten by a snake? There is literally no good reason I can think of for something like this to be done.
It is indeed sad.
Assuming this won't be based solely off of CGI effects though, I will be incredibly curious as to how he pulls it off without being crushed. And how this was done without harming, or altering the snake's natural behavior in some way….Disgusting. Exploitation at it's worst. I don't blame you for what "they" turned it into, but I really just can't understand why.

Would be curious if you could provide me with some details about how this "stunt" was done, after the show is aired and all, since I believe that would no longer violate you're non-disclosure agreement, right?

I'll admit all of my assessments could be off.. I base it off of snakes I've experienced myself, the largest being around 14 foot retic's. I can't even comprehend the power of a snake double that size, and I can't imagine how a human would manage to survive it. Or, why they would want to try in the first place.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sensational headlines and sound bites get ratings. Plain and simple. People have been talking about this one all day, because of the silly absurd promos.

You've already answered your own question.

Prairie Mom

Back in August, NPR did several shows criticizing the Discovery channel's "fake-umentaries" during the height of "Shark Week." There were some pretty interesting interviews with scientists who thought that the discovery channel was depicting their real scientific research, and then when the show aired, it edited them into making it sound like crazy "voodoo" sharks etc were real. The Discovery Channel also had entire episodes where they were supposedly searching for mythical giant sharks.

Here's a blurb from one of NPR's articles talking about this...
"In perhaps the worst of Shark Week's programs, mythical creatures are presented as real animals to viewers who don't know any better. In 2013, Discovery Channel featured a Megalodon documentary in which scientists go looking for the extinct shark. Undaunted by sharp criticism it received for the bogus show, which polls showed had most viewers totally fooled, Discovery Channel came back this year with more fiction-as-fact, including a feature about a legendary 20-plus-foot hammerhead named Old Hitler, a fake documentary about a boat called Joy Ride that sinks in sharky waters, and more efforts to convince us that Megalodon still cruises near popular beaches." -http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/...nd-fake-umentaries-another-shark-week-gone-by

I've been pretty disappointed in the discovery channel and have stopped watching it. I'm certain this "Eaten Alive" episode is another of the discovery channel's infamous "fake-umentaries" that mix fact and science fiction just to get a boost in ratings from naïve viewers. My home will not be counted among those who view this upcoming program.

-------
Here's a link to the article where scientists mention being edited and misquoted regarding the voodoo shark. The radio show was much more indepth and interesting, but whattayado? http://www.npr.org/2014/08/30/344562317/when-wildlife-documentaries-jump-the-shark

Turtlepete

South Florida
You'll appreciate this!... I just came across this article about the "Eaten Alive" program being fictionalized just like many of the episodes from "Shark week!!!"
http://www.businessinsider.com/discoverys-eaten-alive-show-with-anaconda-is-nonsense-2014-11

If I could go back in time, I would just post this article, because it states both of our opinions so clearly!:)

I wondered what Frank would think about this one. Sounds about right. Glad it comes from someone with more credentials than me, though. Common sense in itself and a a basic knowledge of the animal's in question should tell you that much, though.

Like I said, I'm curious as to just who good CGI has gotten.

Such a disappointment, really. I grew up watching shows like Animal Planet and Discovery channel. As far as I remember, they used to be quite interesting and informative about the natural world. It's a shame to me that any kids growing up watching it now will have their heads filled with complete nonsense.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA

Prairie Mom

The link you provided are not link to the correct article....
It's there. You just have to get through the advertisement. When you first get on the link, it takes you directly to an internet ad. On the top of the right corner, you can click on an arrow that says "Continue to business insider" and THAT will take you to the article. Sorry, apparently, I just HAD to pick an annoying website just to mess with you, Steven!;) It's not a bad little article though. Just hate internet ads!:)

Last edited:

Prairie Mom

I wondered what Frank would think about this one. Sounds about right. Glad it comes from someone with more credentials than me, though. Common sense in itself and a a basic knowledge of the animal's in question should tell you that much, though.

I think you said it perfectly well in your post too.

Such a disappointment, really. I grew up watching shows like Animal Planet and Discovery channel. As far as I remember, they used to be quite interesting and informative about the natural world. It's a shame to me that any kids growing up watching it now will have their heads filled with complete nonsense.

Agreed! It's tabloid television now. It's a shame.

Hermes

Lake Butler, Fl
Lol whatever this poopy show turn out to be about one thing I can assure you is... It won't be as fake or as dumb as the one they made claiming that they had found a mermaid!

Last edited by a moderator:

Prairie Mom

YES!!! Ha ha ha! Oh, I needed that!
sharknado.jpg

Don't forget "Sharknado 2" and "Sharkalanche"
sharkalanche.png
I'm pretty sure there's a "Sharkageddon" out there somewhere too:)

I'll bring us back on topic by saying: I believe these DVDs are completely and totally based on scientific fact. Because they are so factual, I am CERTAIN they were made by some division of the Discovery Channel. Discovery did a great job portraying Scientists' work in their true light on these features, just as they do all of their other documentaries ("Eaten Alive" included). You're reading this statement on the internet and everything you read on the internet is TRUE.

Last edited:

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington

Like I said, I'm curious as to just who good CGI has gotten.

I agree. I used to, and actually still do, love to watch documentaries especially about animals. But other things too. I like science shows and animal shows. But I want the information to be factual, scientific,I don't even mind experimental if it's done responsibly. But these kinds of documentaries just confuse people, not just kids.A total and complete waste of time.

Hermes

Lake Butler, Fl
Reminds me of this super informative documentary I once saw about crazy weather phenomenon... What was it called...

Oh yeah! "Sharknado"!
But at least when you watch sharknado it never tries to convince you that it's real or that it's a good movie lol but the mockumentaries that the discovery and learning channels have been putting out for a few years actually try to pass false information as truth and that bothers me. First time I noticed they were doing it was with the mermaid thing. A friend of mine messaged me and told me they had a really good documentary on and I tuned in. And within a couple of minutes I wanted to gouge my eyes out, but other people that didn't have the opportunity to go to college and take a few zoology and biology classes or even people too young and too naive to know they are been fooled, they actually believed it was true. Even when I was younger I would swear by the info from the discovery and their networks. It inspired me to want to be a veterinarian, although I changed half way thru and did a photojournalism degree it was just because I wanted to document nature. But now with this trend of fake documentaries and lies and honey boo boo in tlc I doubt they can inspire anybody to do anything.

Prairie Mom

But at least when you watch sharknado it never tries to convince you that it's real or that it's a good movie lol but the mockumentaries that the discovery and learning channels have been putting out for a few years actually try to pass false information as truth and that bothers me. First time I noticed they were doing it was with the mermaid thing. A friend of mine messaged me and told me they had a really good documentary on and I tuned in. And within a couple of minutes I wanted to gouge my eyes out, but other people that didn't have the opportunity to go to college and take a few zoology and biology classes or even people too young and too naive to know they are been fooled, they actually believed it was true. Even when I was younger I would swear by the info from the discovery and their networks. It inspired me to want to be a veterinarian, although I changed half way thru and did a photojournalism degree it was just because I wanted to document nature. But now with this trend of fake documentaries and lies and honey boo boo in tlc I doubt they can inspire anybody to do anything.

I totally agree with you. You can't even call them "mockumentaries," because those are awesome Christopher Guest movies like "Spinal Tap" and "Waiting for Guffman." :) You know that what you are watching is FAKE. What you said about too many people not knowing they are being fooled is SPOT ON. It's too bad. The world is so INTERESTING on it's own, we don't need this fake nonsense.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Perhaps, by some miracle, I'll be totally off on this show, and no anaconda will actually attempt to eat a human. Maybe the show will go on to describe just how ridiculous the idea of being EATEN ALIVE actually is, and maybe be a good educational segment on anaconda's, and use the show's rating and popularity to advocate for conservation.

Serious best case scenario here. I absolutely doubt that will happen, sadly….