eat sleep eat?????

Anthony32

Have a question for my Russian tortoise Tedo have had him for 3 days I feed him around 10am to 1pm depending on my schedule he will hang out of his hide box till around 4 pm then he goes in the box till the next morning...... I know he is new to our environment and will take a bit to get into a routine my question is should if feed him again around 5pm or leave him be sleeping???

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
They tend to develop their own routine. Anyone who has own a tortoise, knows they can be stubborn. I would leave him alone for now, as he adjust he will be more active.

Anthony32

They tend to develop their own routine. Anyone who has own a tortoise, knows they can be stubborn. I would leave him alone for now, as he adjust he will be more active.

That's what I was thinking should I go a bit more variety on food due too only eating once wright now I give him two choose at each meal

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Well variety is always a good thing, I would do more variety, either way.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
:D For the first two weeks that I owned my tort, he literally did nothing but eat and sleep... he got his own thing going and now he has got my timing down! at almost exactly as the day before, he will emerge to eat. Then he will run around. he he will sleep. The he will poop in his water bowl. Then he'll ask for more food by noisily stretching on his walls. The he;ll give up, and fall alseep for the rest of the day... until his lights go of and thinks it is a great time for more food :rolleyes:
Your tort will settle in eventually!

Anthony32

:D For the first two weeks that I owned my tort, he literally did nothing but eat and sleep... he got his own thing going and now he has got my timing down! at almost exactly as the day before, he will emerge to eat. Then he will run around. he he will sleep. The he will poop in his water bowl. Then he'll ask for more food by noisily stretching on his walls. The he;ll give up, and fall alseep for the rest of the day... until his lights go of and thinks it is a great time for more food :rolleyes:
Your tort will settle in eventually!

Tedo stays moving and scratching but once around 4pm hits he is in sleep mode eat and sleep he is living the good life hahahaha

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Baby torts for few weeks just eat and sleep because in the wild if you move you get eaten but once it learns that you are the food God it all changes . Ha

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Anthony32

Tedo is pretty active but once 4pm hits he is done till 830 the next morning

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
ours was a bit like that at first all he did was sleep/hide he didn't even eat for the first week or so. now you could set your watch by him. he wakes up warms under the lamp for about an hour and remains active until between 1 and 2pm then he sleeps in one of his many random holes he dug during the morning and that,s him until about 6pm when he comes out for more food and a warm under the lamp then he finds a nice spot and sleeps until morning. not sure if it will help a Russian (our sparky is a horse field) but he is happiest and most active when he has a mound of soil or some thing to dig in or under.