Easy red foot enclosure .

poohbear

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
What a great setup! It would definitely make it easier to keep the temp and humidity levels more consistent. Do they get enough air inside for circulation? Would this type of setup work for Homeana Hingebacks?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I wouldn't know about other types of tortioses . I only keep reds, sulcata, leopards,and box turtles . But as long as temperature and humidity required is met ,I don't see why not . But if you need more heat, I would buy a sheet of aluminum and mount that to the top for a heat shield .As far as air flow I have a one inch hole drilled into the top to run cords through . Humidity stays constant and the tortioses love it . I wouldn't run a higher wattage che with just a plastic top . I would cut a big hole in the top then add a piece of aluminum sheeting . Then drill a one inch hole in the aluminum to mount the che fixture to that .

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
This is the temperature of the lid by the fixture mounting point . I'm running a 50 watt che .IMG_20171115_192655868_LL.jpg

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Also I can't stress this enough..... Mount your thermocouple from the thermostat close to the che fixture.

poohbear

Florida
I wouldn't know about other types of tortioses . I only keep reds, sulcata, leopards,and box turtles . But as long as temperature and humidity required is met ,I don't see why not . But if you need more heat, I would buy a sheet of aluminum and mount that to the top for a heat shield .As far as air flow I have a one inch hole drilled into the top to run cords through . Humidity stays constant and the tortioses love it . I wouldn't run a higher wattage che with just a plastic top . I would cut a big hole in the top then add a piece of aluminum sheeting . Then drill a one inch hole in the aluminum to mount the che fixture to that .

Thank you. I will think about it.

poohbear

Florida
I've got some leaves that I brought back from NC. I've got to wash and boil them before I put them in the enclosure.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I don't do all that . I just make sure no bugs hitch a ride into my house .

poohbear

Florida
Oh! i guess I'm one of those OCD individuals. I think at this time I will just continue as is with my hingies. Thanks.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hahahaha don't change on my behalf . That's what makes the world go round.... diversity .

Ernie Johnson

5 Year Member
McKinney, Texas
This is how I do it . This small setup will keep a few hatchlings for the first year or so . I paid a little over one hundred dollars for everything .
One t5 5.0 uvb/ uva fixture.
One ceramic Dome fixture.
One thermostat.
One timer.
Two terracotta bowls.
One hide.
One digital thermometer.
One 50 watt ceramic heat emitter.
One plastic box with lid.
Set timer to five hours for the uvb fixture .Set thermostat for 80/85 degrees Fahrenheit . Add mulch and Coco chor bedding. Run the setup for a few days to dial everything in. The hole for the plugs will give the setup the right air flow to hold humidity without over wetting the substrate.View attachment 222665View attachment 222666View attachment 222667View attachment 222668View attachment 222669

It needs to be 75% covered with plants (plastic are best) for them to hide and feel safe. If not, they'll get very stressed as they live the first 6-8 years of their life spending most of their time buried in leaf matter, in old logs, wherever the can hide, be warm and damp and safe from predators.

Here's a pic of the setup I've used (with some variation) for 17 years for these guys. For the indoor shot I hadn't put all the plastic plants back in (had just redone it) so only about 50% of the 75% coverage we use and replaced the light with a very low watt (use 13W now) but this is from 2008-2009 I think.

Indoor Redfoot Habitat-1.jpg

Indoor Redfoot Habitat-3.jpg

Ernie Johnson

5 Year Member
McKinney, Texas
No to be a PITA, but here's a shot from Guyana (where they are native) where 70% of the country is covered in dense tropical forest (like all of the countries they are native to) so you can see what they spend 100% of their life in for the first 6-8 years, then 80% of the rest of their life once they get beyond that size.

Guyana Jungle Scene.jpg
I have some video footage of them in the wild, but can't post it here do to arrangements for personal use only, and the video looks a lot like this scene.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Very nice . This was meant for the beginner . To get temperatures and humidity right . They can add whatever plants they want . This is a cheap easy setup anyone can do .

Cale

Gulf Coast FL
Hi Mike, thanks for the great ideas and post. What kind of thermostats do you recommend and how would you set it up? Where did you get them? I did this “kind” of setup for my last hatchlings, but not so automated.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Here is all the items used or their equivalent. All I did was drill a one inch hole in the corner for the cords to run inside the box . Then I drilled a one inch hole in the middle of the lid for the fixture . I took the fixture apart and ran it through the lid . Then put it back together. I mounted the uvb fixture by drilling 1/8 inch hole and used zip ties to hold it in place. I ran the thermocouple from the thermostat through the one-inch hole in the corner of the lid. Mount the thermocouple close to dome fixture . Then used the heat gun to setup the thermostat to the right temperatures. Screenshot_20171116-200016.jpgScreenshot_20171116-200402.jpgScreenshot_20171121-111529.jpgScreenshot_20171116-200249.jpgScreenshot_20171116-200101.jpgScreenshot_20171116-200852.jpgScreenshot_20171116-200038.jpg

Reptilian Feline

Sweden
This is great...except thst I had a bit of a problem with the images being in the wrong direction.... but that's just me... I can always flip the computer over for a closer look. Plastic bins with lids are great!

If the lid gets too hot and a bit less stablöe from the heat around the CHE, then get some aluminium foil and put it around the hole.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That's why you use small wattage ceramic heat emitters and a thermostat . I've had no problems with over heating or any lid melting issues. I held back two of my hatchlings for friends to help get them past the the hatchlings stage. I'll keep them untill they out grow this enclosure .