Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Big update:

Here is the finished product. The palm fronds are held down with UV protected zip ties, so they can't shift or blow away. I like the fronds because they give full shade in the middle and dappled shade around the leading edge. Plus they are sun, water and weather proof and last a very long time.
35n6ct4.jpg

Here it is with a couple of the lids propped up. The two on the left are hinged in the middle.
nyb4hv.jpg

I'm already getting some sprouts after one week. I don't know what is sprouting. It could be the local weeds and grass. Haha. Either way its fine and the little torties will have something to hide in and graze on.
kdmosj.jpg

30tpeaa.jpg

Here is one of the "Humid Chamber" babies enjoying some sunshine.
2po5u6p.jpg

And here is #14, who is all the way up to 65 grams now. I think when he hits 100, I'll have him join the rest of the herd in Leopard Land.
rmv34i.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Apparently my new sprouts are not too bitter. They are all eating them as fast as they can grow. I'm trying to feed them BEFORE I put them out there so they don't eat as much, but they ARE sulcatas after all. I'm afraid the sprouts might not be able to keep up. I'm working on it...

JLSchmittou

5 Year Member
Tom said:
I just finished these yesterday. Each pen is 4x8' and I put three babies in each pen. I love how they turned out and it was really easy. They still need three more things done.
1. I'm going to attach a bunch of old palm fronds for shade.
2. I'm going to add one more pen and then put hinges in between each pair of tops.
3. I'm going to churn up the dirt, add some plain, additive free soil, and plant some weed seed and leafy greens in there for them to munch on and hide in.

Here's the usual play by play:
First I laid out my bricks. I tried to pick a relatively flat spot for this and keep them level and straight.
24quyis.jpg

Next I built a simple frame using pressure treated 2x4's.
jkbvrq.jpg

Then I added the wire mesh and fastened it to the frame with deck screws and fender washers.
2guh3e8.jpg

One down, two to go...
2zs1xti.jpg

All done.
lifye.jpg

sbo4fd.jpg

2h5tqnn.jpg

Let me know when your in AZ to build one of these for me... Your wife and I can sit inside, have coffee and talk about safely warming and cooling down food, and provide you with lemonade.. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Haha. Who's going to build my stuff while I'm there building your stuff? :p

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
Very nice, Tom. Cool idea :) I'll be stealing this idea if it is OK with you! I have been wondering what I was going to do for OUTSIDE in the summer time, I have the inside stuff pretty much set :p Thanks for sharing!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Haha. That's not stealing. I gave it away the day I posted it. I hope it helps.

I am really happy with mine. They get over grown and I just remove the lid, move some bricks and let the adults mow it down to bare dirt again. They are working so perfectly for the babies too. They are surrounded by food, cover and humidity. I feel comfortable leaving them out much longer in these than in any other baby enclosure I've ever used.

Before:
o9h6yv.jpg

During:
s6ot9j.jpg

After:
vijxwk.jpg

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
Wow, those big torts can really eat. what ever happened to the lettuces

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
WOW!! They are like reptilian lawnmowers! LOL :D Thanks again for posting. Very very cool idea. I'll be using it for when the warmer months come around again!

B

byerssusan

What a wonderful idea..Thank you for sharing. Hopefully we will have new home soon..So when it comes time for Phoenix to go out this is the idea i will have in mind..Looks great!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ewam said:
Wow, those big torts can really eat. what ever happened to the lettuces

I planted all that stuff in post #15. Out of all that I got a whole bunch of arugula, a few plantain weeds, and one type of lettuce in one single spot. None of the other stuff did anything. On the other hand the usual weeds are sprouting very well for me there and that is all good stuff too. Mallow, filaree, and lots of fresh grass chutes.

The big ones cleared that 4x8' area in minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.